A trip to the local walmart...

I really got to share this as it's great to have some american musle under the hood...

I went to the local walmart to get a car cover for sleeping panther, black

1990 LX 5.0, 5 Speed, notchback. Pulled up to the redlight in the local town nearby, bout 4 redlights away from the walmart. Light was red, a freakin dodge neon pulls up beside me, starts to rev the ricer up. I didn't do too much, the light turns green, I let the neon pull 1/2 car length away, then awoke the sleeping beast, cranked a medocre 2000 RPM's, and road the clutch a bit so the back paws would spin too bad, and passed him just after the intersection, in 1st gear @ 25 MPH. I heard the neon scream thru 2 gears to catch up, but it was already too late. My 16 year old daughter and her friend loved it.

Then 2 redlights later, I couldn't of even imagined the out come of this one. I'm @ the redlight, a late model grandam GT was to the right of me. Looked to be a kid in his late teens with his girlfriend. He rev'd a couple times, I said aaahhhh what the hell...this is too easy. I rev'd her up to about 2500 RPM's a couple times, he looked....then looked again. Then he quit reving his car, his girlfriend turned around in the seat and started punching and pushing him. I was laughing so hard, I just eased it thru the intersection. My daughter and her friend were laughing hysterically as they aparently thought they knew the kid. I told them they better not be telling him he got shut down by a 37 year old kid. I couldn't of even planned that, that almost made me feel like I was 21 again. It made me wish I'd of had a camera.

1990 LX 5.0 Notchback 5 speed K&N Filter 3" Flowmasters Shorty headers 3.55 Gears
Reply to
Bogus1

You were lucky it wasn't an SRT-4 Neon. I've seen them run high 12's here and we're at 3075 feet.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I was going to say the same thing the SRT-4 is a fast/light machine, hence me searching out hp/weight ratios.

Punch

Reply to
Punch

I dont think many teens drive SRT-4's unless there parents trust them with that kinda power

Reply to
John Wiebalk

They would have to be incredibly STUPID parents.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

really, check out the srt forums, and teens are modding hond's into well over 300hp.... parents don't give a damn these days.

punch

Reply to
Punch

guess I had stupid parents, they thought it was pretty cool when I bought a mustang at 19yrs old.

punch

Reply to
Punch

If I had children (and at 25, that's a couple years off yet), I'd much rather see them putting their hard-earned money (not mine though) into something constructive like that, rather than resort to drugs and the like. If they spend all of their time obsessing over the next mod, they probably aren't out smoking all of their cash away...

Not only that, it teaches a valuable lesson about saving up for what you want.

I could think of much worse things for them to do in their spare time... as long as they knew that if they got caught doing something stupid, they'd be paying more consequence than just the state's mandated penalty..

JS

Reply to
JS

Parents aren't generally automotive technicians and don't know what their kids are doing to their cars.

My own dad was/is a mechanic and taught me about cars AND introduced me to drag and dirt track racing. He would have pulled my keys for street racing, but would loan me money to go to a track...

Reply to
Mustang_66

"JS" wrote | | If I had children (and at 25, that's a couple years off yet), I'd much | rather see them putting their hard-earned money (not mine though) into | something constructive like that, rather than resort to drugs and the like. | If they spend all of their time obsessing over the next mod, they probably | aren't out smoking all of their cash away... | | Not only that, it teaches a valuable lesson about saving up for what you | want. | | I could think of much worse things for them to do in their spare time... as | long as they knew that if they got caught doing something stupid, they'd be | paying more consequence than just the state's mandated penalty.. | | JS | |

I agree.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

| > > I dont think many teens drive SRT-4's unless there parents trust them | with | > > that kinda power | > >

| > really, check out the srt forums, and teens are modding hond's into well | > over 300hp.... parents don't give a damn these days. | >

| > punch | | If I had children (and at 25, that's a couple years off yet), I'd much | rather see them putting their hard-earned money (not mine though) into | something constructive like that, rather than resort to drugs and the like. | If they spend all of their time obsessing over the next mod, they probably | aren't out smoking all of their cash away... | | Not only that, it teaches a valuable lesson about saving up for what you | want. | | I could think of much worse things for them to do in their spare time... as | long as they knew that if they got caught doing something stupid, they'd be | paying more consequence than just the state's mandated penalty.. | | JS |

I couldn't have said it better.

Cheers.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

| > punch | | Parents aren't generally automotive technicians and don't know what their | kids are doing to their cars. | | My own dad was/is a mechanic and taught me about cars AND introduced me to | drag and dirt track racing. He would have pulled my keys for street racing, | but would loan me money to go to a track... | | -- | Pat Ford - Columbus, Georgia

Your dad sounds like a very smart man with good habits and pastimes.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

Been there/had that happen, still having the nightmares !!!!! The only time I got left behind that bad was by a 03 mod'd Cobra. To say it was ugly would be an understatement.

97 5.0 coupe w/5 speed and she ain't slow

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

When YOU bought it? If indeed you bought it.. paid for it with your own hard earned money and also paid the insurance and operating expenses then you have my deepest respect. And so do your parents.

On the other hand if they bought it for you, I stick by my previous post.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

...and he knew my mom would have kicked his ass if one of her boys had gotten hurt is a stupid street race!

Reply to
Mustang_66

yep i bought it, paid the insurance, and the gas, did borrow money to get it certified though, needed tires and windsheild.

Punch

Reply to
Punch

Me too. I managed to survive my late teen years driving a '66 GTO and I've owned a fast car ever since then. There are far worse things than hot rodding the youth of today can indulge in.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE