Actual cost of installing a V8?

We've got a 2000 Mustang convertible that a previous owner spent too much money on making into a "Cobra clone", with the enhanced suspension, wheels, exhaust, and cosmetic stuff. We bought it because we wanted a nice convertible Mustang, and all that other stuff was just gravy.

However, as time has gone on it seems like we're treating it more like a long-term investment. I store it every winter, and we only drive it a few thousand miles every summer, so the engine only has 52K. I've slowly started an upgrade program (better air filtration, leather seats, etc.), with the long-term goal of converting it into a REAL (or, as real as we can get) Cobra.

This means, of course, installing a V8. I am not a mechanic, so I would be looking at hiring a shop to do this. Does anyone have any real-world experience with this? It seems like a used V8 can be had at an auto-reclamation shop for relatively cheap -- but what's the installation gonna cost? How many hours are we looking at? Is it a "plug & play" conversion? What else has to be changed out?

Thanks in advance...

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

There's STILL more to it than an engine and computer/harness swap.

The shop, if they cared about your interests, would tell you to buy a wrecked Cobra of the same series and bring it to them. then charge you about 2000 - 3000 for the swap

While I understand your motivation... I dont see why you want to go to all that trouble to make it seem like it rolled off the line that way in the first place.While it will actually be worth less than a real Cobra in the end.

I'd suggest keeping the V-6 and making it 'all it can be' You can get

300 hp out of it pretty easily.

And you get to keep MORE of the money you put into it as a motivated buyer/buyer would spend MORE for your car than it's stock sister years down the line. Yeah...I KNOW you plan on keeping it, that's not the point!

The reason I understand you is that I swapped SVO drivetrain and running gear into an 88 LX I-4 convert... but it is unique and though it's now in fairly sad shape I was offered MORE for it that for a good shape stocker.

But there's a difference... I was trying to make it look like it might have been stock tho the car never was built.

Backyard Mechanic

Also the conversion should require a suspension upgrade to compansate for the added weight.

Reply to
/\rtful ])odger

Thanks for the input. I'm new to customizing cars, and hadn't really considered resale value, but what you say makes sense.

On the other hand, nothing sounds like a big V8, and what I'm talking about doing here isn't necessarily rational. (Is owning a convertible in an area that snows for 5 months a year rational?) If I were doing this for resale value, I'd need my head examined.

;-)

That said, I'm going to look into enhancing the current 6-cylinder engine first. Thanks again.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

The suspension was modified by the previous owner as part of the "Cobra" upgrades that he made. I'll have to check to see if that's not already been done.

How much more does the V8 weigh?

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

The V-8 is only .8 liters, or 800cc, more than your V-6 anyway.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

FYI, A 4.6 is NOT a big V-8, it is actually a SMALL V-8. Over 7 liters is a big V-8...

and what I'm talking

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Just find a v-8 convertible or better yet a hardtop, have both one to pamper and one to thrash. late 90's early 00's are real bargins right now, even if you have to travel a little to get the right car.

Reply to
walt peifer

On 28 Oct 2006 06:58:41 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Why not just dump the same amount of money into the six and end up with something really different? If you want a real Cobra, buy a real Cobra. You'll never get there piece meal.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

nevermind all these naysayers, drop this in and call it a day:

and they even call it a "Cobra Special"...

wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

Sweet! Any idea what is involved with "dropping this in" to a relatively stock 5-speed Mustang?

I suspect it's not "plug & play"...

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

Might want to consider this one:)

Hey, it is Halloween:)

If you put a 514 in your Mustang the 5 speed will last about as long as you can keep your foot out of it. They are brutal engines. We race two 385 series Fords. One is an almost stock 460 inch in a 67 fastback. Ran 11.17 in Las Vegas. We're higher, runs 11.30's here. Car weighs 3,000 pounds. It has stock pistons, rods and crank. Stock two bolt main block is decked to zero, heads are 70 D0VE with the ports cleaned up. Lunati solid lifter cam, good springs. Stealth intake with a 850 carb. BTW: The transmission is a GM TH-400.

The other one is a 514, it's in a 71 Camaro:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I rest my case... FIRST you would STILL have to either transplant to Cobra spec or update to 'better than' on EVERYTHING.

All goes back to your drive/use parameters in the original post. If that has changed, you need to repost your goals. If it's to have the hottest car in town, rather than a unique upgrade to stocker.. then your project will never be done.

And you had BETTER consider your wife's views if she drives it too {still a sore spot in my house}

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Except of course the engine management systems... you can throw all that out, you wont be needing Cruise control, etc.. but you will be needing new dash instruments

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ha! For sure...

Luckily, I'm married to a woman who likes to ride motorcycles, flies airplanes (she's a pilot), has jumped out of perfectly good airplanes (that weren't on fire), and looks great driving a blood-red convertible...so I don't think she'll mind driving a rocket-powered Mustang...

:-)

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"