add on EFI to vintage 351?

What would be cheaper? Find a 5.8 out of a van or truck with the puter and all the wiring (the whole shmeer), or just find a ~'69 351W and add on the EFI? If I went with the vintage block I'd want to convert it to a full roller motor. AFAIK the late model 5.8's were only roller rockers and not roller lifters. Is this right? What year late model would be the best? I know they stopped making them ~'97-'98. Any suggestions?!!? If I went with the late model 5.8, would the AOD's normally behind them fit? I know they were used primarily in vans and trucks and don't know if it would be easier to grab THE WHOLE THING- Motor/tranny/wiring harnesses/ECU. But only if it all fit.

I'm looking at this swap for a '69-'70 Sportsroof daily driver project I'm interested in.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

A while back a guy posted a complete lightning engine from the radiator to the oil pan, including the computer, wiring harness, etc for 1500 bucks. I know of another one for 2300 right now also. They come up on the classifieds on nloc from time to time. Not sure if thats what you want, but they are pretty good motors. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

From everything I've ever heard, the late model 5.8's are roller cam enignes (meaning uses roller lifter) engines, but the rockers are the stock fulcrum sled type. If you absolutely have to have a roller-cam engine, and you want EFI anyway, just find a truck that's already set up with this equipment and take it all. It'll cost a bunch more to get the EFI setup. The intake is similar to a 302 but the lower is wider to accomidate the deck height difference.

What are you throwing this into?

AOD, SROD, T-5, C-4 will all bolt straight up to this engine - if it fit a

302, it'll fit a 351. You can get bellhousings to make other transmissions fit as well. Word of caution - if you're going to put an AOD behind even a stock, healthy 351, I'd suggest getting it beefed up first. The AOD wasn't the strongest of the bunch, and in 1984 when the introduced them to the world, they detuned the 5.0 to have a whopping 180 peak HP. I have an 85 with that setup and the AOD still seems to shift a little strange after only 77k miles.

JS

Reply to
JS

By the way, I forgot to mention, if you're throwing this into a Fox Mustang that's already a 5.0, most of the EFI stuff should work - you might need just the brainbox, but actually, the brain should run the engine just fine if it's MAF. A stock 351W shouldn't be at the point of tapping out the MAF meter. If you're concerned about it, upgrate the MAF and injectors to 24lb models. Injector firing order is the same from 351 to 302HO. If you are dropping into a Fox Mustang 5.0, you could get away with the early model block, converting it to roller cam (not even a necessity unless it's your preference) and buying a truck lower intake manifold... the stock upper, as well as all wiring, should bolt up and fit correctly.

Remember the rest of the conversion parts - accessory brackets, oil pan, etc....

JS

transmissions

Reply to
JS

Isn't the Lightning motor a "mod" motor though? I don't want to mess with that. too much involved.

Scott W. '66 HCS

"Erik D." wrote

Reply to
Scott Williams

"JS" wrote

'69 or '70 Sportsroof. I want an AOD because I still want the torque at the stoplight, but plenty of cruising capacity. Didn't they put AOD's in the vans and trucks behind these motors??

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

The 96 and 97 351s had roller cam blocks, the later Lightnings had the 5.4 mod motor. Yes AODs were used in trucks and vans. Everyone seems to blast these transmissions but I had one behind my 351 in my 66 and never had a problem with it. Retrofit roller cams are available but the OEM lifters and guide bars won't fit the early blocks--the area around the lifter bores is not machined flat for the guide bar to sit on. Crane makes lifters with link bars but $400 is a lot for a set of lifters, but I'm interested in doing it to my 351 anyway. The MAF EFI will readily adapt to the 351, all you really need is the lower intake, the upper is the same as the 5.0s

Carbs and AODs forever...

Reply to
W3tac8oe

I don't even have a block at this point though. That's why I want to know if it would just be easier to yank the whole shmeer out of a salvage yard F or E-250 series van/pickup? Motor/tranny/ECU/wiring/etc. As opposed to buying a vintage block and retrofitting all the roller stuff into it then putting on the EFI and having to move the dipstick, eesh. I can do it, but if it's easier and cheaper to yank it out of a salvage vehicle, that's what I want to do. I'm just trying to weigh the best route to go. If I go with a vintage block then I'll want to rebuild the whole thing with more than stock components- another 2 grand on top of the EFI and roller swap stuff, eesh.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Honestly, in your situation, if I could find a complete EFI truck/van setup, I'd do that. You'll have a lot of money into nickel and dime BS trying to get the electrical stuff up and running.

I don't have much knowledge of the older cars... all of my Mustangs have been from '83-up. However, I believe there are some considerations with trying to retrofit an older car to EFI. While it'd be a dream for me to have a '67 fastback with a stroked and blown EFI Windsor under the hood, I don't see it happening in the near future.

If you're curious as to how much buying the wiring harness separately would cost, check out a Summit Racing catalog. There's also a group online that makes their own harnesses... I can't remember the name of the place though. Some of the others may know. They custom-build the harness to your specifications and make sure it'll fit your early model Mustang.

If you go with an AOD, I'd try to get one that was behind a 351 originally, and find the newest one possible. There were plenty of problems with the older AODs. If you can find a driveline from a mid to late 90's truck, complete with AOD and wiring harness, that'd probably be the optimal choice. Remember to get the wiring for the fuel pump and all of the other gadgetry.

Good luck and let us all know how your quest goes...

JS

Reply to
JS

"JS" wrote

Ron Morris makes'em They run around $850-$900, again, I say EESH!

originally,

From what I can tell the best swap would be from about a '93 F- series truck with floor shifted AOD. I'd be concerned with the normal column shift on the vans and trying to get that linkage swapped. I don't know if it's some silly little tiny $5 piece that converts it or some huge $250 honking deal. With my luck it'd be some big hairy deal. Apparently there were issues with the pulley setups on the later 94+ motors (at least with the 'stangs). I don't know if it holds true for the "non-stang" motors or not. All the pulleys are closer to the block. That's cool for bigger radiators and cooling. Apparently the EGR is at a funky angle and also, if you want to run AC , well, you just can't, because the bracket interferes with the shocktower. I guess there's not even enough room to bolt the bracket on, let alone the compressor.

I shall

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Nope, The old lightning had a 351W. The 94 and ups had a roller ready block. They also had some goodies like GT40 heads and a GT40 intake. They are really good motors. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

"Erik D." wrote

Aww yes!!! (I see the break of dawn) The ORIGINAL Lightning motor. SWEET!! Now the marbles are bouncing inside my head. EESH!

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Now, how do I get one???? Can you order from Ford as a crate?

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

I think the only way you are gonna get one is to buy it used. I don't know of anyone selling new ones. Now, you could probably buy the parts and peice it together, but that would probably end up costing more. Good luck, hey if you find someone that sells them as a crate, let me know. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

What specific year motor am I looking for? If I find someone who crates them I'll post it here.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

You'd probably be better off with a '94 and up, some of the '93's aren't roller blocks. The casting number for the roller blocks would be F4TE-something. They only made somewhere around 12,000 lightnings, so it may be tough to find one. They do pop up on nloc from time to time though, so you may want to post a want add or keep checking if thats what you are interested in.