Adjusting 88 mustang pedals?

In my '88 5.0 that I recently purchased the pedals are all real close together. By that I mean that the gas pedal is maybe 1.5 inches away from the brake. Any ideas if the pedals are adjustables to the left and right? I know it wasnt this way in other fox body stangs that I have owned. I haven't gotten down there and fiddled with them yet.

Thanks!

--Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

The issues and facts presented in this beggar the imagination...

Is this the only MT.. or AT, you've owned?

IIRC, the only 'different' pedal configuration was in the SVO.

Which I have for sale -at the right price- btw.

Or perhaps the previous owner installed same.. though I never noticed the problem

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'll just ahve to take a picture of it and post it later on today so you can see what I'm talking about. I've had many MT and AT vehicles which include

2 other fox body MT ones. This is the only one where I can put my foot in the middle of the brake, press it down and catch the edge of the gas at the same time. I can drive it fine, I just have to be careful of my foot placement. As far as the previous owner tells me, its the stock motor and MT.

Barefoot shifting may be the way to go!

Reply to
Cameron

Here is a picture of my pedals:

Here is a picture of another MT mustang I stole from the great ebay:
Do my pedals look like they were spaced together for a 9 year old to drive?

Reply to
Cameron

Hah.. just as I thought!

It's NOT your brake pedal in the wrong place! The accel should just tuck into the hump/lower firewall crease when floored... the thing was changed to do "road course style" braking/gas.

You're lucky.. helluva lot easier to change back

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Wow, good call. Looking at those pictuers again I can see what you mean. So I can either leave it like that or I could get a new gas pedal arm that would be recessed back some?

This guy I bought it from did a few things to the stang that are sweet but some of them will cost me:

-He shaved the door handles which is sweet, but the alarm he had them wired thorugh so the outside door buttons wont work when the car is "locked" is broke. So I will have to install another one.

-He put in 3.73 gears, better headers and a b303 cam which ain't too shabby. Car was made in CA so it already has the mass air flow sensors and what not.

-He put in an electric fan. What are the advantages of this?

-He lowered the car by cutting the springs. It's horrible over a speed bump so I'll have to put some regular springs back in.

So all in all its not too bad, it's in need on a paint job. The only upsetting thing so far is it failed the emmisions i TN pretty badly. It got a HC count of 1446 and the max allowed is 220. So it's dumping way to much fuel, approximately 30-40 miles for a half a tank of gas, I'll have to figure out what is broken or what he disconnected. The BP near my house said for $70 they can find out exactly whats wrong and let me know.

Reply to
Cameron

I'm sorry, are you saying that you are only getting 80 miles to a tank and not 280 like I'm getting with my 88GT? If so, it sounds like your car has a blown CPU and is currently operating in "limp in" mode.

Reply to
KEITH MCCUMBER