Adjusting the clutch

I noticed in my 1994 GT's owner's manual it recommends to have the clutch adjusted after 5,000 miles. Although I've never specifically requested this service be done before, I used to take it into the dealership for an oil change and the clutch always felt tighter and more powerful. I haven't taken it back to the dealership for a while and the clutch is feeling really loose and it engages very late in the throw. Also, I don't know if this has something to do with it but I've been getting 15 MPG from an engine that I used to get 18 MPG from just a year ago...it may sound like nothing but that car is usually very consistent.

Do I have to have the clutch adjusted every 5,000 miles like the manual says? I know sometimes the manufacturers can get a little overzealous with their recommendations...I mean, they recommend shifting into 5th at 45 MPH. Can it be done at any repair place or should I take it back to the dealership. I honestly have no idea what "adjust the clutch" means or what it entails.

Any information on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Dee Gee

If the owners manual recommends it, it is probably a reasonable thing to do. We never used to do this in the 'good old days' as it wasnt normally needed so often. A dealership is certainly not the only entity that can adjust a clutch. This is pretty simple stuff. Maybe you should buy -even a cheap Haynes or Chilton - repair manual for your car and read about the procedure. You might want to try it yourself, or at least be able to discuss it intelligently with whatever mechanic you choose to have do it.

Reply to
<HLS

I can honestly say that I do not know how different your 94 is from my 98 but.... The clutch in my 98 was non adjustable. It was supposedly self adjusting. What they called an adjustment was simply this:

Place your foot UNDER the clutch pedal, and pull upwards. You will feel it ease back and stop.

As I said, your mileage may differ.

Your post doesnt tell how many miles are on your car, is it possible that the clutch getting worn out and is starting to slip a bit?

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Oh yeah, the car has 125,000 miles on it and I bought it at around 80,000 so I'm assuming it's still the original clutch. This is actually my first stick shift so I have trouble determining when I should replace the clutch and what it will feel like when the time comes.

Reply to
Dee Gee

When it starts slipping, you are pretty much there.

You can normally adjust the pedal, at least in the older versions, but when the frigging clutch disc material is gone, it's over.

You have enough miles to be expecting this to happen at any time.

Reply to
<HLS

Same as my 89.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

click on this site and type question and get professional answer.

click on site below and check out my ride visit my guestbook and leave your opinion thanks bill302.

bill302