advice for selling: fix first?

I have a 1998 convertible GT. It's time for me to sell the car. I've owned it since new. It's 100% stock, and runs fine, but is a little frayed around the edges. In particular, one of the power locks no longer moves on its own, one of the fog lamps is broken, the speedometer sometimes goes wonky (reading too high or low), the windshield washer is clogged on the driver side, and the car needs new tires. (I was in school and let some stuff go for awhile...)

By the way, the top is in pretty good condition and does not leak.

Do you guys think it's worth it for me to get those items repaired or just try to sell the car as is? I would think someone handy with time could do the repairs inexpensively himself. I'm semi-handy, but with a little one I just don't have time, so I'll be using a local shop, like Mostly Mustanges in Oakland, CA.

-- dave j

Reply to
Dave J

check price of car, edmunds etc. leave the tires alone, (unless they are all bald) door lock should be easy, but it is sort of hard getting the door apart, may need some special tools $100 fog lamp is easy $30 part speedometer - could be messy - dash may have to come off (?)

remember, all the $$ you put into fixing it, is going away, so it is like throwing money away.

The dude you sell it too may know how to fix all these things easily.

Reply to
samskie

The door trim is easy to remove on an SN95. Easiest car I've ever done that on. Nothing more than a screwdriver required.

Reply to
Brent

Thanks for the advice. The tires are not bald, but you can't hide Lincoln's head in the tread.

I have done some work on this car, and though some things were simple, some others were INSANELY difficult. For example, I needed to replace the evap emissions valve. On most Mustangs of this vintage, it's easy enough to do; the valve is right on top, under the hood; almost nothing needs to be removed first. My car has California emissions; the part was inside the fender! Disassembling that fender was a huge pain in the ass. I think I almost cried thinking about how much work I was doing just to get to a simple-to-replace part. I'm afraid the door lock will be similar. I have the Ford manual for the 99 (I have a 98, but it seems similar) and it looks non-trivial.

I agree, the speedo is perhaps the thing most worrying. My hope is that the sensor just needs to be cleaned or something.

Easiest thing is to just sell as-is, hoping I can find a buyer who won't ding me too badly.

thanks, Dave J

Reply to
David Jacobowitz

there are buyers looking for "fixer-uppers"......and they expect the price to reflect needed repairs.

I'm stay away from any car that has multiple little problems.......if the owner hasn't taken care of them, I assume regular maintenance was neglected too, i.e. regular oil changes, cheap-o brake jobs, etc.......so it would have to be a give-away price to interest me on taking a chance.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Do a search on autotrader.com for your car. Plug in all of the options and good stuff about your car, include the mileage and set a reasonable radius from your house. See what the car is selling for, assume they need no repairs. Figure out what your repairs will cost if you have them done or do them yourself, and adjust your selling price to either make it attractive for the buyer to do the repairs or ignore them as you have.

You can also plug your car into kbb.com to see what the value might be.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I hope you never smoked in your car. I alway's did until I traded in

2005 for a new car. traded in my older car as down payment. I had 75000 miles I put every one of thoes miles on myself. Well If you are a non smoker and if you have the list of things fixed. I think it will be worth your time and while. More money is what I'am talking. My first car was 1966 Mustang convertable. stright stick in floor ofcourse that all thay make. I was 18 I felt like King Kong this was my Brothers car in perfect condition I paid him 500.50 dollers best money I ever spend. I made 1.65 an our back then. Dave Eastern Shore Maryland Good luck to ya..
Reply to
David Clayton