Advice for trailering

I'll be trailering my son's 69 FB in about a month on interstate for about 160 mi. Need advice on what tie-down points to use. Tow vechicle is F-250 pulling a 5 ton trailer w/ electric brakes. Thanks, JRnNC

Reply to
chowrunner

I use 3/8" chain and boomers on my open trailer. Would never trust a cable "fence stretcher" type hand winch or those cheap Chinese nylon straps. Home Depot has decent large nylon ratchet tie downs for around $16 each. I use them in my enclosed trailer. It's a different problem because the enclosed trailer has a flat floor and not very good tie points, so I need multiple straps to keep the car from bouncing into the trailer sides.

One of the cars I haul is a 67 Mustang FB. I tie the rear axle and the front suspension. It's a race car and has very stiff suspension. If you have a car with soft suspension, tie the body too.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That's a pretty short distance. As long as you use quality ratchet type tie downs, you shouldn't have a problem. When I tow my Cobra, I place the front straps around the lower A arm, near the ball joint. In the rear, I place them around the lower a-arm (IRS), near the outboard attachement. You can loop them around the axle tube. IIRC, my '69 FB had factory plate style tie down points in the rear, up near the shackles. I run the front tie downs straight foreward. In the rear I cross them, but only because it makes for an easier tie down. Lot's of folks down't cross over, and don't have any problems at all.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks, guys for the advice!

Reply to