advice on headers

I have an 89 GT. Work in progress. I have installed a BBK H pipe, and Flowmaster 40's. Now I need some headers! Any good advice? Thanks, Howard

Reply to
Howard Mora

I found a brand new set on eBay for $90 I think. That was with the buy it now option.

Headers are plentiful out there. You pay for the name though. The best set I have heard on a 87-93 was a complete Bassani setup with their tuned headers.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Too bad you've already selected your H-Pipe as that will limit your header selection. I have come to the point in life where I feel that if you aren't installing long tube headers, there's no sense in even cracking the manifold gasket loose.

In your position, I'm going to say JBA equal length shorties will be about the best option. Still not as much of a performance improvement as long tubes, but better than a log header.

Reply to
Tungsten

WELL.... Long tube headers do provide the best power but not by a big margin. The difference between UNEQUAL shorty headers and long tubes on a

340 hp engine is about 10 HP. That is 3%!!! Not a big deal. Given the complications and space requirements for long tubes and that in many places the mere presence of long tubes would result in a failed emissions check, 3% is nothing. Shorty headers are indeed a good option and do provide a nice improvement of over the restrictive stock manifolds / "headers".

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Forgot to add.. the best deal in shorty headers IMO are the Ford FRPP stainless steel with ceramic coating. The quality is excellent and the price can't be beat.

LJH

95GT
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Anyone have any hard data showing the difference(s) between OEM 89 headers -Vs- Shorties ??

What about -Vs- Equal lenght shorties -Vs- Unequal ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

Equal length headers give you a litte more power in the midrange. Unequal length give more power down low and at the high end. Overall they are almost identical. Having had equal length, I switched to unequals because the produce less heat in the engine compartment, dont burn plug boots, and are much easier to install/remove.

LJH

95GT (331 stroker)

PS, anyone in the market for a nice set of EQUAL length shorty headers. Excellent condition!

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall