Aftermarket Bumper cover / Air Dam

My 1986 Mercury Capri's front bumper cover has cracks and a few breaks.

I have been looking for a while and have not been able to find any. I did however find an aftermarket airdam made by Xenon part no 3129 for a 83-85 Mercury Capri.

How much difference is there between a 1986 Capri and an 85?

I know that 1987 Capri went to a completely design.

Also the bumper cover is in fairly good condition except for the cracks on the lower half. Is there any repair materials that will work with the bumper cover?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Photobossman

If the Capris were built like the Mustangs (and I think they were), anything from '83-'86 should fit with no problem, and earlier maybe with some modifications.

You might be able to work something with fiberglass putty, but it wouldn't be nearly as flexible as the original material.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Garth Almgren opined

Yes there is.. see your local body shop supply. Like bondo but flex. Using alum flashing as backer it works very well.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sorry I don't have first hand expierience repairing a bumper cover but a little searching has brought up a couple ways to repair the bumper cover.

I think your cover is polyurethane here's a couple repair techniques:

If you know it to be of a different material...look here:

Dinsdale

Another thing you may consider. Most body shops can either repair the bumper cover save $$$ by doing the R&I yourself. Then they can paint it to match your car. If you don't think you want to spend the money on a body shop, get ahold of your local chroming shop. Most of them do bumper repairs and many these days repair the urethane bumper covers as well.

Kate

| >I have been looking for a while and have not been able to find any. I did | >however find an aftermarket airdam made by Xenon part no 3129 for a 83-85 | >Mercury Capri. | >

| >How much difference is there between a 1986 Capri and an 85? | >

| >I know that 1987 Capri went to a completely design. | >

| >Also the bumper cover is in fairly good condition except for the cracks on | >the lower half. Is there any repair materials that will work with the bumper | >cover? | >

| >Any help would be greatly appreciated. | >

| >Thanks, | >

| >Gary | >

| Sorry I don't have first hand expierience repairing a bumper cover but | a little searching has brought up a couple ways to repair the bumper | cover. | | I think your cover is polyurethane here's a couple repair techniques: | |

| |
| | If you know it to be of a different material...look here: |
| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks for all the help.