Aftermarket shifter for '66

I'm going to be putting a T5 in my '66 this winter and am wondering what shifter to use. I've seen the one that looks like the original with the fake rear lockout and it puts the shifter in the stock position, but is this a good shifter?

I've seen the thread about the Steeda unit and the others that are out there. Is this gonna be too much of a reach forward though? I'm pretty tall and had the seat mount lowered and moved back for more head/leg room, and am worried about being able to reach a short shifter comfortably.

I've also seen the new shifter that Mustangs Plus is making, but it is not visually appealing at all (IMHO). Maybe if I were going to race this car it would be worth it. I haven't met anyone locally that's done the swap to see just how much of a reach it is. If there's anybody around whose done it, maybe I could check it out (Aurora, Colorado).

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

if you are tall and the seat was moved back dont worry, you should have longer arms to reach the shifter, you do reach the steering wheel?? dont you??? well if the answer is yes you got it made: to reach the shifter..

Reply to
jim

Well, there's reaching it, and then there's reaching it "comfortably". The stock shifter is so much longer and angles back towards the driver, but the aftermarket sticks are straight up and quite short. That's why I wasn't sure.

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

What about that MGW shifter handle? Anybody got a URL? That might be helpful for him.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

lots of cool stuff there.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Cool, I'll check it out. By the way, has anyone tried the "vintage" shifter that looks like the stock '66 shifter with the fake lockout tabs?

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams