aftermarket stereo

I just purchased a pioneer headunit for my 86 LX. The previous owner took out the stereo and just cut the wires. Does any one know what the color of the wires im supposed to use are. I've traced all the speaker wires and it looks like there are 3 wires left over that were used before. There colors are yellow, green, blue. I need to get the allways hot wire, the ground and the ignition on wire.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

I know a couple of wires...yellow/black is ign on wire(acc), use the big steel brace near the radio for ground.......****watch the blue/red stripe its +12 volts when lights are on (dash lights)***, you can grab constant from the cigarette lighter (light green/ yellow stripe also hot). Those cars had a factory mounted amp under top of dash (under where the center speaker would be) make sure your speaker wiring is correct and the factory amp is not used. If you have a small 1.5 volt aa battery you can make sure your speaker wiring is correct, quickly touch (on and off repeatably) what you think is a pair of wires to the little battery, you should hear a little poping sound from each of the speakers as you individually test them, don't do that with the radio plugged in though....Rico

Reply to
Rico

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Try

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Per

There apparently no ground as it used chassis ground...

The12volt.com has always had good info, I have used them many times in fixing up aftermarket stereos in cars that the prev. owner just cut wires, as far as those yellow green and blue wires go, check to see if they have strips on them; The blue one might actually have a brown stripe on it which is the illumination wire meaning it dims the display according to the dash light at night (usually not used in aftermarket units)

I had a 89 Mustang which had the stereo stollen and the wiring info from The12volt.com was accurate, I did have several other wires left over but I believe it was for power amp which was ripped out with the unit. If everythng works after hooking it up, be sure to put electrical tape on the spare wires; below is the basic wiring for the stereo for a 89 Mustang...

Constant 12V+ Light Green/Gray Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black Ground n/a Illumination Blue/Brown Dimmer n/a Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue

Front Speakers 3 1/2" Dash Left Front (+) Green Left Front (-) Black/White Right Front (+) White/Red Right Front (-) Black/White

Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Quarter Panel Left Rear (+) Pink/Red Left Rear (-) Pink/Blue Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue Right Rear (-) Green/Red

Reply to
The Wes'ter

Schoshe industries makes a reverse harness for Ford (One that plugs into the back of the stock radio.) where the factory harness has been removed. The wires are all labeled as to their function, it is a real easy fix.

Reply to
Ironrod