Air Conditioner Will Not Work

My 93 Mustang hasn't been working for a while. Once in a while it will work for about 15 or 20 minutes and then no cool air comes out. But it doesn't work most of the time. I was wondering what causes the air conditioner not to work and what needs to be done to fix it.

Reply to
obie

Correction to my last post. My 93 Mustang works great. It's the air condition that hasn't been working for a while.

Reply to
obie

When it is not working but on see if the clutch at the front of the compressor is engaging. Outer flywheel will always spin when engine running inner flywheel attached to the compressor shaft will turn when electric clutch engaged. Failure of this item will cause symptoms you describe. I have that problem and when it acts up will squirt some contact cleaner between the two flywheels which helps for a couple of weeks. I got to get mine replaced soon however.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

No doubt the cheezy rubber engagement surfaces of the a/c clutch have worn out. If you look at it, you'll see. But don't worry! Since this has happened, they'll tell you the A/C compressor has siezed, that they can't repair the clutch plates and a new compressor (installed) will only cost you about $500. The way to minimize this happening in the future is not to engage it when the car is doing high rpms, which no doubt really eats away at the mating surfaces.

Reply to
RichA

Thanks for the info. I might try the contact cleaner just for now. I guess eventually I might still have to get it fixed.

Thanks again.

Reply to
obie