Air Pump Check Valve Leading to the Heads

My air pump check valve (Ford: E9VE-9A487-AB) that attached to the pipe leading to the heads broke off the pipe at the nut on my 93 Mustang GT.

When I attempted to remove the nut off the pipe, I bent/crimped the pipe between the elbow of the pipe and the threads where the nut from the air pump check valve would attach. (The bend is closer to the threads than to the elbow and is severe enough to reduce the ID of the pipe by 50%.)

Do I have to replace the pipe? (There is not a lot of space to remove the bolt holding the pipe to the block nearest the valve. The other bolt seems to be more accessible.)

Could I creatively attach a new air pump check valve to the original pipe using a high-temperature hose? (My thought would be to buy a new pipe assembly, cut off the threaded connection with about 1 inch of pipe remaining and attach the new air pump check valve, then cut off the crimped end from the original pipe and attach the two with high-temperature hose and hose clamps.)

If I have to replace the pipe... Are there any tricks to removing the two bolts that attach the pipe to the block?

Thanks!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

Did you try squeezing the pipe to try the make it a bit rounder at the crimp? I think high temp hose would burn near the heads.

I had a car once, a 79 datsun. I took off the air pump immediately when I bought the car and plugged up the hole where it would inject air. Of course that is not a good solution! It didn't have to go to emissions tests! It did go

150,000 miles without a problem before I sold it however.
Reply to
Fred