Airfilters and milage.

Far be it from me to rehash old threads, (yeah, right) but I was just flipping through a Consumer Report mag and read this little blurb under "Myth Busters" beside an article on bettering fuel mileage. I don't remember who said what, but CR says this:

"A dirty air filter. Our tests show that driving with a dirty air filter no longer has any impact on fuel economy as it did with older engines. This is because modern engines use computers to precisely control the air/fuel mixture."

Now *I* still think a clogged filter will make the engine work harder, but apparently it would have to be *REALLY* clog to make a noticeable difference in your fuel mileage.

Reply to
WindsorFo

"WindsorFox" wrote but CR says this:

Heck, if you think about it, the fuel efficiency should get better since more air equals more fuel equals more power. Well with a REALLY dirty filter there's less air, so the 'puter sends less fuel. Voila'. lol

Scott W. '68 Ranchero 500 '69 Mustang Sportsroof TS #57. (anyone still using these?) :)

Reply to
Scott W.

Modern engines are Mass Air Flow engines... they measure how much air actually makes it into the engine. A severely restricted filter is going to affect maximum power available but, for many driving circumstances, is going to be pretty much "transparent".

Older speed/density systems would compute the amount of air taken in by the motor using the MAP sensor and engine rpm (along with, more than likely, TPS).

People sometimes expect that one size fits all... they can't do it with pantyhose... how can we expect them to do it with something a little more complex?

Top postingly yours...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Saw this on CNN last night - a few minutes of "Myth Busting" with the Consumer Reports rep. Bottom line, the dirty air filter won't make a noticeable difference in the way the engine runs, except under heavy acceleration. While fuel mileage will not suffer, performance will.

Keep changing out those air filters.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I don't totally disagree to a point. If the filter is mildly dirty then the difference in mileage is small. However, if the filter is dirty enough to move the sensor data out the operating range of the computer programs operating parameters then it will reduce mileage.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Gee, in that case a restricter plate over the intake should double my mileage.

Reply to
WindsorFo

What?? Where's the message??

Reply to
WindsorFo

If the filter is that dirty, it will set the check engine light. The effect of a reasonably dirty air filter on fuel economy of a modern fuel injected engine is so close to zero as to be zero.

To affect fuel mileage in a measurable way, the filter would have to be practically plugged. Except at wide open throttle the air filter is not even close to the most restrictive element in the intake tract (the throttle plate is). For all practical purposes, there is no difference between a partially plugged air filter and a partially close throttle.

A plugged filter can reduce maximum power, but the effect on fuel economy is no different than a partially closed throttle (again talking about modern fuel injected engines).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

----- Original Message ----- From: "WindsorFox" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 11:10 AM Subject: Re: Airfilters and milage.

A block of wood under the accelerator pedal will have the same affect and is easier to install. A partially plugged air filter is the same as a partially closed throttle.... (assuming we are talking about modern fuel injected engines).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed, we already beat this horse into hamburger.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"WindsorFox" wrote

Now you're gettin' it. lol

Scott W. '68 Ranchero 500 '69 Mustang Sportsroof TS #57. (anyone still using these?) :)

Reply to
Scott W.

I actually considered that on a 72 455 Toronado I had at one time.

Reply to
WindsorFo