alternator vs generator

Hello,

I have a 1964 1/2 mustang. I'd like to see if someone call tell me know to determine if it has either an alternator or generator. I know that the early 64's were suppose to have generators and later in 64 they used alternators. What prompted my attention to this, is the fact that the in-dash warning light says "ALT" and not "GEN". There doesn't appear to be any marks on the unit that I can see (from the top). I do know for sure that it is a 64 1/2 as the date code is 15D (April 15th of 1964).

Thanks, David

Reply to
Patriot

The generator is physically larger, especially in legth than the alternator. The is a cooling fan mounted next to the pulley but no slots around the outside of the generator... only a few slots in the rear face-frame. Additionally, the generator mounted on the left front of the motor using a large "Y" shaped casting (this is totally from memories that are much older than 30 years.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Yes... the regulator would be mounted in the same place and would look the same as the early alternator regulators (this is before we saw solid state regulators).

When alternators made their first appearance on the market is about when we started seeing the first "dinosaurs" in the trade. I can't recall how many horror stories I heard about guys trying to "polarize" an alternator....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim for the info. From what I can figure, it is indeed an alternator. I managed to dig up a photo of a generator and one of an alternator. So my next question is, why would someone have replaced the generator with an alternator and change the warning light on the console. Seems like it would take away some of the value of the vehicle since it is not entirely original. Also, i've done alot of reading on serial matching, and how the engine serial number matches the body, etc. Where would I find the serial number on the engine? Its an in-line 6 170Cu.In. I'm wondering if perhaps its not the original engine, maybe?

Thanks again! David

Reply to
Patriot

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Whoopsie.... the "Y" bracket, AFAIK, only applied to the V8s. Also, if it was a V*, all we'd need to do is count the bellhousing bolts to determine the "numbers" status.

Engine serial number was usually on a flat machined pad somewhere near the cylinder head mounting surface (Gawd, you know how to stretch an old mans memory....). You may be further ahead looking at some of the Mustang forums on the web or checking with the Mustang NG.

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Patriot" wrote

Are you SURE it's a 64 1/2 then? Remember 64 1/2 is a hobby designation, not a Ford one, since all 64 1/2's are technically 65's.

They used up what they had on the assembly line until it was gone, so maybe you got a car with the 64 1/2 front clip but the newer generator and gauge?? I've seen some pretty freaky things happen with the cars from 65 and 66.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

On what planet? Here on Earth generators produce DC. A generator has no diodes. They have a commutator, not slip rings like an alternator, and the output is rectified by it. . Commutator: A cylindrical arrangement of insulated metal bars connected to the coils of a direct-current electric motor or generator, providing a unidirectional current from the generator or a reversal of current into the coils of the motor.

Al Old enough to know:)

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Michael Seeley

"Michael Seeley" wrote in news:z4eWe.12102$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

So it was a typo, huh Mike? 'Cause it was YOU said Gens had diodes.

The commutator is there to switch the armature coil polarities so the output can be straight DC without diodes. it's like a -ummm- mechanical rectifier! Which was necessary for size and power handling in the days before 'solid-state' electronics.

In a generator the power is produced in the rotating coil, the field is stationary (WHICH is the MAIN cause of the relatively high rate of brush wear); in an alt, the power is produced in the stationary coil and the field coils rotate. Since the alternator 'field' brushes carry relatively little current on a smooth surface, they also last longer, though much smaller in size.

The separate box attached to Generator is purely for voltage and current regulation.

And as to the factoid: WHY wasnt it practical to use DC in the grid, note the fact that a lot of urban power WAS DC in early days.

I KNOW the answer, does anyone else?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I do.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

BTW: ST. Louis had DC power in the 60's and maybe into the early 70's. Union Electric generated it for elevator use. Was quite a stink when they discontinued it. Many old St. Louis hotels had DC in the bathroom for electric razors. UE also provided 25 cycle power. Can anyone tell me why? UE also provided steam for heat. Guess they was a real power company:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Wow! Who pooped in your lunch box? And what did my reply have to do with your outrage? Did you think our questions had something to do with you? Lighten up, life is too short to go around with bunched up panties. Have a beer and relax, enjoy, try to chill out

Have a nice weekend.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Gee, MS, I hope it was nothing I sad....

I didn't claim I knew. I just asked a question of Jim to see if there was a difference in how the wiring was set up between ALT and GEN. I thought perhaps there might have been a difference outside of the unit itself.

A recent article in one of the Mustang magazines mentioned that the most misunderstood subsystem of a vehicle is electrical. I admit, I don't know near enough about it, but I am learning.

As for the other questi>

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

To use the Socratic method, here are a couple of questions to ponder.

Voltage drop is proportional to I^2*R How do you step voltages up or down with DC power?

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Uh, V = I*R. V I^2*R.

Not that Socrates knew that.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Changing DC voltage? A piece of cake. The ignition coil does it with pulsating DC. All you have to do is collapse the field in the primary to induct current to the secondary windings. My 1916 Model T has four coils that do just that. Kind of like a cross between Distributorless Ignition System and coil on plug ignition.

Also, I can remember the drug store tube tester had an area to test car radio vibrators. I believe they did the same thing and produced pulsating DC.

Anyone want to toss in Tesla's name too?

Tom M.

Reply to
TM

"Michael Seeley" wrote in news:z4eWe.12102$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Completely false. I've had generators outlast the motor they were attached to.

A generator is very easy to ID. It's about a foot long, compared to the alternator's 6 inches. This is not about size.

Prolem with the generator is that it cannot charge a completly dead battery. It depends upon some battery juice to charge it's field windings.

Reply to
elaich