Aluminum Wheels Leaking

Threaded View
I have continual trouble with air leaks on my aluminum wheels.  The shop
always tells me that it's due to corrosion between the wheel and tire bead.

Is there any way to recondition the wheel to stop this?

Thanks!
Dave

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking

Has the shop tried bead sealant? It gooey black stuff, you put it on
the bead when installing the tire. Should normally seal stuff like
that unless the leak is really bad.

--
Stephan
2001 Yamaha YZF-R6

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking

Some 80's to early 90's Ford Aluminum wheels had a porosity problem. Ford
has a TSB on it and a fix that used epoxy paint to seal the inside of the
wheel.

Al

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
I had a set of centerline aluminum wheels from the late 70's that had a
leak between the 2 halves.  I had the tire shop dismount the tire for
me, took it home and removed the 25 year old silicone bead from the
center of the wheel and applied new silicone.  I brought it back to the
tire shop and had them remount the tire and it has worked without a leak
ever since, 2 years.

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
Many tire shops will use a bead sealer on aluminums rims... it essentially
glues the tire to the rim. Dismount the rubber, tidy up the rim with
sandpaper or a wire brush to remove any loose corrosion and have them
re-mounted using bead sealer. you can do it yourself if you like, just chalk
line the tire to the rim so you don't lose the balance. You can do it
without dismounting the tires but it's a pain in the ass to clean the rim
while trying to hold the bead down - not to mention the crap will stay
inside your tire.

Spray on bead sealer (never tried, can't vouch for it)
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02september/safetyseal.asp

Brush on bead sealer (this is what the shops use)
http://www.annco.com/products/pro_2.cfm?ItemNumber=G10106

-Brian

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
Take off tire and clean up bead area either with a fine wire wheel on a
drill, or fine sandpaper, to polish up that area while taking off the
corrosion.
I have heard of different sealers like Form A Gasket #2 (IIRC an old racer's
trick), bead sealer, etc.
I have heard of people painting the bead area to stop further corrosion
using clear or POR-15 or ???  This makes sense to me.  ;-)

I think I only did the fine wire wheel to clean up the Canyon alum wheels
now on my 88 XJ about 3-4 years ago.  I did not paint nor use a sealer, but
I think I applied a little ATF to get the Duellers on the wheels though.

later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

bead.

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
They can brush it with a wire brush in a drill bit, kind of like a Dremel
tool.

Do Not use those Seal-A-Leak cans of goo. I had a bead leak several years
ago and used some of that shit and it rusted the inside of my rim.

bead.

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking

You might want to post this in a welding or mechanical engineering newsgroup
or go to a good machine shop.  I'm thinking - clean it up real good and
spray weld it, but I'm talking out of my field.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking

not wheels expert here
but since when does aluminum rust? - or is there something else there besides
aluminum?

pete

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
Just the terminology.. iron oxidizes = rust, aluminum oxidizes = dunno whut
its called. As with all metals, some grades are more porous than others and
when they oxidize or corrode the pores get bigger quicker. Salt promotes
corrosion, which is the main reason us Northerners remove the aluminum rims
in the winter.... an lemme tell ya.. its a real bitch getting traction with
just the rotors.

--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

   Corundum.  The main ingredient in sapphire and other rather hard and
   clear gemstones.  Or watch crystals.

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
Rusting/corrosion is an oxidizing process. Hence aluminum can oxidize and
the "rusting" is aluminum oxide. Iron/steel rusting would produce ferrous
oxide. The colors are different - iron -red/brown and aluminum white/gray.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking
Richard proclaimed:

   Aluminum oxide in the absence of other substances is extremely clear.
   Most aluminum corrosion is due to acetates, oxylates, chlorides/ates,
   etc.

Re: Aluminum Wheels Leaking

   Aluminum rust as such is sapphire.  However aluminum corrodes quite
   nicely in a variety of ways.

   For the OP, have the rims polished and you might think about also
   having the inside [where the air goes] heavily painted.  Been a
   long time since I ran into stories of such, but some of the early
   cast style aluminum wheels were rather porous.  Thus the famous
   slogan "Stop Casting Porosity"

Peter D. proclaimed:

Site Timeline