Amsoil?

Any one here use their products? I am trying to get the Mobil 1 line for my garage and having a hard time with the Exon corporate red tape...It would be easier with Amsoil. I like the choices but never used their products.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Amsoil costs more in my experience. More people would be willing to purchase Mobil 1, I think.

Reply to
paul-1993

It it any better than what's out there today? I mean, it's been out there for 30 years, and I find it hard to believe more contemporary products haven't developed better features

Reply to
vince garcia

I used it exclusively in a 90 Celica (road raced for 3 years and still running great with the original engine) and loved it. I though about using it in my Mustang but found it hard to find so I use Mobil 1 now. I'll be trying Royal Purple with the next oil change which also sells for about the same price as Mobil 1. The only problem with Amsoil is it is very expensive and hard to find, but a good product with bad marketing in my opinion.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

I run Mobil 1 in my drivers, and Royal Purple in one car (a modded mustang - Nitro Plus 40) - used to send oil to Spectrol (lab in Ohio) - Mobil 1 is much better (according to the bearing material in the oil when I sent it) than fossoil, and the Royal Purple and Amsoil were a little better - Amsoil just costs more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Royal Purple used to be called something else - one of the older 1/8 milers used it and says it was used as a low visc drag oil in the early

70's.. Amsoil is expensive, but is (was?? ) better than Mobil 1 according to Spectrol, but not much - about the same as Royal Purple. Any synthetic in my mind is going to make things better. Amsoil is easy to find around here, and is available all over the net, but I've got about 8 gallongs (in two 5 gallon containers) of Royal Purple in the garage - I use about 1 a year.

Andrew

Joe Cil>I used it exclusively in a 90 Celica (road raced for 3 years and still

Reply to
Andrew Paule

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE mustang - Nitro Plus 40) - used to send oil to Spectrol (lab in Ohio) -

Reply to
Katmandu

Andrew Paule opined in news:AJBYa.74$f% snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Royal Triton.. sure was pretty stuff, havent seen royalpurple.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Andrew Paule

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned Red Line. I've used all their fluids for almost ten years. I've never heard anything but good things about it. How do you guys think it compares with the others?

Blue Gator

Reply to
Blue Gator

Amsoil is a fine synthetic oil. I would use it if it didn't cost way more than Mobil 1.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

It's purple.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Thanks for the tip I will watch it closely.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

at 08 Aug 2003, nytebyte [No snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mobil-1 down here in Tampa is pretty cheap at WallyWorld. $18.88 for a

5 qt jug and $4.19 for a 1 qt bottle. I can get Amsoil but after trying their product intended to be mixed with gas and used in gas trimmers and blowers, I decided against getting it. As it really messed up both my trimmer and blower which got very hard to start and did not run at full power until I switched back to the normal oil/gas mix again.
Reply to
Paul

Sounds like you mis mixed it, I use the 100: 1 in my chainsaw and weedeater.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

at 10 Aug 2003, WindsorFox[SS] [ snipped-for-privacy@SPAMcox.net] wrote in news:MHEZa.8127$qf.1557@lakeread06:

Did the 1:100 mix just as described on the package. Which was one of thoise $1 samplers. I just added normal oil to the mix (1:40) and all ran fine. Even with the normal/amsoil mix. Maybe the sampler bag had gone bad? I don't know, but I wasn't happy with the results and not about to try it again. It is no fun having to pull 25 times and still not get one's leafblower working... :-(

Reply to
Paul

Ok, that's confusing. You mixed the AMS 2 stroke oil and added "regular oil" until it was 40:1 ???

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

at 11 Aug 2003, WindsorFox[SS] [ snipped-for-privacy@SPAMcox.net] wrote in news:PqXZa.8934$qf.8070@lakeread06:

I mixed the packet of Amsoil with gas (citgo 87 oct) Then filled my leafblower. After 25 pulls it still would not start and barely turned over. (It normally goes at the 3-5 pull). I tried the same mix in my trimmer. Same problem. It would not start. I emptied both tanks back into the has canister. Then added normal dino 2v oil as if no amsoil was in there. Getting the normal 40:1 mixture. Refilled both machines. They started after just a few pulls. But did not run at full blast, most likely due to the extra (amsoil) in there. No smoke though. Ended up throwing (responsibly of course) that mix out. Got new gas, added 2v oil to make it a 40:1 mix and both machines worked like normal again.

Since the only change was the amsoil, logic seems to point to it as the culprit...

Reply to
Paul