Another Milestone

Just reached another milestone today, I just rolled 250,000 (as in 1/4 of a million) miles. 88GT 'vert bought new that year. In major repair actions so far (less traffic accidents) the car is on its third ignition module, third fuel pump, third heater core, (note: don't try removing the heater hoses by pulling), second radiator, second water pump and has had the alternator recently rebuilt. Neat to have goodies I've added over the years, Cobra fuel system, SSBC rear disk conversion, (with 73mm calipers up front), police kit upper & lower control arms, full chassis bracing,(GW sub frame connectors, JBA upper strut tower & rear shock tower braces, lower K member brace & recently added a set of MAC castor camber plates to aid in getting the alignment back to spec. Lessons learned, don't ever take your car to Jiffy Lube, when replacing your heater hoses CUT them off, don't pull, use distilled water when changing your antifreeze & then leave it in there until it says time to change it again, changing your oil every 10,000 miles is often enough (especially if you use a good synthetic), KYB Gas A Just shocks are great for handling but the GR2's are easier on the back & Flowmasters are the most obnoxious sounding mufflers ever made.

Reply to
ironrod

"ironrod" wrote in news:DuQte.998565$w62.458513 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

LOL. My '83 has a Flowmaster that exits before the axle, with a 90 degree pointing straight at the ground. Below 2000 RPM, the thing sounds like a dirt modified. At highway speeds, tho, it sounds great.

I'm going to have the pipe extended to the rear as it should be, and have some kind of resonator put in that will quiet the sound a bit.

To add to your list of tips, never buy a cheapo heater core - you'll be replacing it again in a couple of years. Spend the money and do it right. That thing is too dang hard to replace to be doing it over and over again.

Reply to
elaich

Heh, 292k and counting on the 93 (that's miles, not km). Drive it to work every day. Thanks for all the tips; I've also had good luck with the KYB.

John

Reply to
teeces

Tried the resonator trick, didn't help. The droning problem seems to be caused by the mufflers being the same length. The stock system had unequal length mufflers and they never droned. Somebody posted that their friend was able to overcome the droning problem by using a 2 chamber Flowmaster on one side and a three chamber on the other. Me, I just got tired of throwing money at it and just yanked the system and let Midas muffler do it. (They got a neat set of turbo's just made for Mustang's.)

Reply to
ironrod