Another reason to have an accident

Briefs: Broadband expands in-car entertainment

Car video entertainment is taking steps toward becoming ubiquitous through the use of wireless broadband technologies on display in Las Vegas this week.

Freescale Semiconductor had its Ultra-Wideband (UWB) on display at the Delphi booth, where visitors at the Consumer Electronics Show saw an in-vehicle system stream two simultaneous videos on to a pair of liquid-crystal screens mounted in the front-seat headrests.

The screens do not require hard-wiring to a server in the vehicle, and the system can handle high-definition signals and MPEG2 format movies.

Boosters tout UWB as being ideal for global positioning data and for passenger diversions that include on-line gaming.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

Reply to
michaelanderson4

In fact, he orta do a blog... it's really easy to set up just go to blogger and register.

Guarantee you will get two or three hits everytime you post... and if it's NOT directly about politics, probably some will read it.

But I'm getting tired of hearing about that stuff, here. Like there's gonna be backseat video gaming in a Mustang.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

There's a back seat in the Mustang?!?

:()

Reply to
dwight

Indeed.... a quick trip to Circuit City and everyone in the car can have personal DVD player.... that even one could be a major distraction should be no surprise to anyone (I had this sudden flashback..... it will be 50 years ago this summer.... my sister and I in the back seat of a 49 Dodge as we moved from Camp Borden, Ontario to Vancouver Wireless Station in BC..... The Transcanada Highway wasn't much better than a game trail, back then, and smart people went through the states.... Long distance entertainment was "count the blue cars", Burma Shave signs and colouring books..... ever see what happens to crayons when you leave them on the parcel deck of a black car in North Dakota?).

We only need to listen to the traffic report on our daily commute to hear of all those fools that tried sharing their attention between drving and any other number of tasks. Back when my loving bride and I lived in a major centre, on any given morning you sould see someone reading a newspaper as they drove, someone shaving, applying makeup or even enjoying a "waker-upper" (not the beverage, if you know what I mean.... nudge nudge wink wink).

Rich and his boyfriend/alter-ego seem to be aghast that prices are on the rise (I now earn more in one hour than I used to make in a week at my first full time job) and that modern people are too full of something to pay proper attention to what is happening around them. What they fail to realize is that paying too much attention to minor details has the affect of us losing situational awareness (something I can't afford on my scooter)..... if we pay too much attention to the guy getting a hummer in his jeep, we might not notice his arrival.... both in the carnal sense as well as in OUR lane....

Of course, this is just curmudgeon to curmudgeon and we need not distract others with our ramblings.....

(Sorry, Kate... the jeep thing just "fell out" of my keyboard... Land Rover just didn't sound right)

Reply to
Jim Warman

Shut up Warman.

Reply to
cprice

That sounds like someone scrolling through a list of 100s of thousands of songs without looking at the road.

FWIW, the Nav System that is available on some Fords. cannot be accessed for input when the vehicle is in mtion.... wasn't that long ago someone was looking for a "crack" so they could bypass this safety feature...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hey, there, pricey.... Good Xmas? Santa good to you?

You can save yourself some tedious typing if you save your usual well thought out comment to a text file (on youre desktop for convenience)... Copy and paste when you feel the urge.

Reply to
Jim Warman

highight, ctrl+c, ctrl+v

Reply to
cprice

Some installations are (inexplicably and unbelievably) being put into driver's compartments. I didn't think it was legal anywhere to put a video screen in the front seat, but apparently, in some states it's not against the law. Maybe because of navigation aids?

Reply to
michaelanderson4

That's your highlight?

God bless you.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Wahhhhhhhhhhh.

Reply to
cprice

It's not enough that you post this inanity here, you have to also email it to me, to make sure I've read it?

That's rather pathetic, don't you think?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

WaaaahhAhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply to
cprice

Dwight, you may now rest your case.

Reply to
Wound Up

OK... you win... I'll shut up now......

Jeez, you are one dumb f*ck!!!! Take a shower and put on some deodorant...... grow up and grow some brains.... maybe then you will find a friend that will actually talk to you and you wont have to fill her with air once a week....

Reply to
Jim Warman