Anyone know where some keyed power is for my XM Radio?

Hey all,

I've got a 1993 5.0 LX and am looking for a 12V @ 1A "keyed" power source. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for now, but it's always on. I would like a power source that I can find or create so that I can have my XM turn off by itself when I turn off the car. I'm just too lazy to always have to turn it off by myself. I first tried my keyed power line that ran to my stereo, but it looks like it just doesn't have enough power to run the stereo and XM radio because nothing turns on when I'm hooked up to it.

Anyway, thought I'd come to the experts, I dug around for a while to no avail. I don't have any problem creating a power source but don't know under the hood well enough to know where to tap into power.

Thanks in advance!

mC

1993 5.0L LX Hatchback
Reply to
Waferboy

Just use a test light and find a fuse that has power when you want it. Then tap into the circuit. There are three major circuits, always on, on in acc and ign, and on in ign only. The heater blower is only on when the key is on. (Ign.) The radio is on in acc and ign. Horn, lights and lighter are always on.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Don't go under the hood.

Stay in the cabin.

The radio circuit is an ideal place to tap in such an accessory.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I'm not sure what receiver you have, but it's possible that the unit won't turn on automatically. If I remove power from my sat. receiver and then plug it back in, it won't turn on until I press the power on/off button. It's just the way it's designed.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at tapping into the radio power source. Put in a relay and run a new line (with fuse) from the battery if you need more power than the original circuit was designed for. Use a gauge of wire appropriate to your application, too.

In reality, 1 amp should not blow the fuse for the radio unless you've got an aftermarket unit that puts out a lot more power than the stock unit.

Reply to
drsmith