Anyone use

An mechanical polisher to wax and polish their cars? If so what type?

Dave

96 GTS with a few goodies
Reply to
Dave Sibbett

I used an orbital polisher for years, but I think the "round and round" method is not ideal. Good waxes and polishes will instruct you to apply them in a straight line. I have a vehicle now that has never had an orbital on it (always applied by hand, in straight lines) and it has none of the swirl marks my other cars always had. My 0.02.

John

Reply to
John

I've used a Wen orbital polisher for many years with good results on my '87. Leaves a much better finish than waxing/polishing by hand in my opinion, especially on the black non-clearcoated car.

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

I have not sprung for one yet, but when I do it will be one of the Porter Cable Random Orbit Buffers. Here is a link to some pretty good information about random orbit buffers. HTH

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I do, I use as Craftsman 10" orbital. The good part about an orbital is that even if you don't know what you are doing it makes it hard for you to mess anything up.

When choosing a buffer, choose something that is comfortable in your hands, an orbital and has a button to lock it in the "on" position. Be sure that you can buy hoods, boots, bonnets.. whatever you want to call them, the little things that go over the pad on the buffer.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Do you use it for applying/working in the wax.. or for buffing?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I use a Porter Cable orbital buffer. It's really nice.

A long time ago I had a detail shop. We used big old heavy Souix buffers. They were nice, but I like the little Porter Cable unit more.

Mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Dave, I have a Word document with a pretty good instructions on how to use a random orbit buffer to wax a car. If your interested I could email it to you. I copied it from the roadfly detailing web site a while back just in case I ever broke down and purchased one. It is still on the detailing message board there but all of the pictures and diagrams are not in the article any more.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

"Dennis" wrote

Dennis, send it to me too, please???

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"66 6F HCS" wrote

Forgot to add my email addy. 92bottledance at comcast dot net.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Mail it to me please... snipped-for-privacy@beatscout.com if you don't mind.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Let it fly. dave at sibbett dot com

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Could I get a copy of that, too, please? I have a random-orbit buffer, but seem to get lousy results from it.

Leave off the .mil.gov to e-mail.

TIA

- Max - ======= Number one in the 'hood, G!

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!

Max C. Webster III

Max, I will try to send your copy out from work tomorrow. Outlook keeps adding the spam buster to the end of your address. I tried it four times and got an error each time. Or you could email me and maybe if I reply it will go through, just delete the 91011 from my address to email. Dennis den70891011@comcast dot net

Reply to
Dennis

Max, I fixed it and forwarded on to you. Outlook was changing the address back whenever I sent it. It was saving the bad email address in my address book. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Both Mike. You use one type of bonnet for applying, another for removing and yet another for polishing.

K.

| > When choosing a buffer, choose something that is comfortable in your | hands, | > an orbital and has a button to lock it in the "on" position. Be sure that | > you can buy hoods, boots, bonnets.. whatever you want to call them, the | > little things that go over the pad on the buffer. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Yeah I discovered that when I bought my own orbital waxer/polisher/buffer after I posted that. Worked wonderfully.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset