Anyway to repair a tear in a urethane bumper cover?

I was backing my '83 into a parking space this morning, and hit a small cedar tree that had been cut off. It put about a four inch long vertical tear in the bumper cover. Is there any way to repair this?

Reply to
elaich

Yes. Check with your local body repair supply shop. Or do a google search for one.

Reply to
.boB

Yes. You'll need some 3M compounds. Ford recommends some in the '97 shop manual I have but that may not apply to your '83.

I put a about a nickle sized gouge into my bumper cover and used 3M flexible bumper filler and touch up paint and it was fine for years... then someone rear ended me again (3rd hit to that bumper cover not including when I damaged it) cracking up the paint on the bumper cover. Body shop decided it was the same to replace as to remove the layers of paint on it and then get it right.

Reply to
Brent P

On a 83 you'll probably find replacing the cover cheaper than repairing one and having it repainted. I don't know the condition but if its origional pigment its probably time to re-paint. So to get by try to find a good one, same color in the salvage yards or on e-bay , replace it then when your ready to have paint sprayed fix the other one and re-paint car and covers so you'll have a spare.

Reply to
Cobra65K

There's a special type of flexible paint that you are supposed to use on the urethane bumpers.

Reply to
nospam

".boB" wrote in news:456cefba$0$10721$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetmonster.com:

Thanks, Einstein. Now PLONK.

Reply to
elaich

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:Ec-dnfm2Y52_ZPHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make the thing passable until getting another one.

Reply to
elaich

Another thing I remembered... since you have a long crack, you'll need the structural 'tape' that is made for repairing such things. A store with a good selection of body work supplies should have it. Thing is they have to match up for the type of plastic used in the cover.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:RYKdnWORiPeiyPPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I was thinking about 1) taking the cover off, 2) using some kind of tape or backing material behind the rip to stabilize it, and then 3) doing the outside cosmetics.

Sound like a plan?

Reply to
elaich

That's how it's done... just get the right stuff for the bumper you have or you might end up doing it again.

Reply to
Brent P