AOD in 91 XR7

Hello all. Love the group, mostly lurk as I dont have a 'stang but the info here applies to my 91 5.0L HO cat as well. Wondering if anyone can provide info on how to downshift the Ford AOD to 2nd gear? The shift select runs from 1st to D then D overdrive. There have been plenty of times it would be nice to shift into 2nd when I want, not when the rpms and TB dictate. If not able to be done, how do I reset the shift points on the TB cable? The tranny was rebuilt 5 years ago but the shop set the shift point so that not much of 2nd gear is used. The reasoning by them was that the AOD has issues in not being able to constantly handle the power from the 5.0s Since the warranty period is long gone, I'd like to set the shift point back to at least what was stock.

Reply to
John

Moving the selector to posistion "1" above about 20 mph will put you in 2nd and there it will stay, until you slow below 20 and then it downshifts to 1st. Start out in 1st then go to "D" for 2nd and back to "1" to hold 2nd, then to "D" for 3rd. Awkward, but it works. Don't mess with the TV cable in an atempt to raise shift points unless you're sure it's not right. You need to drop the valve body and put a spacer on the TV limit valve in bore #6. This will really move up the full throttle shift point so don't use too much spacer:

Reply to
W3tac8oe

C8oe, thanks for the advice

The shop actually did have my consent to do this as the couldn't warranty their work unless this shift point was changed (was that consent or an untamatum?). I checked with other shops in my area and they all had the same story. As they put it, too many of the AODs were failing 2nd gear on the 5.0L HO after rebuild due to the higher hp and torque. Due to the cost I eliminated the dealer but they said the shift points should be the same Right now I get about 3-400 rpms of 2nd gear before it shifts to 3rd.. Moot point now, live and learn. thanks again

Reply to
John

While adjusting the TV cable will affect shift scheduling somewhat, you need to remember that this cable affects transmission line pressure. A general rule of thumb - with the throttle held wide open (motor off, in case anyones wondering), set the cable so that there is a little bit of movement left.... i.e., the throttle valve in the trans isn't bottomed out.

Shortening the cable raises line pressure, lengthening the cable reduces line pressure.... line pressures a tad too high are a lot safer than line pressures that are too low.

In my experience, one the biggest killers of AOD transmissions (aside from improperly adjusted TV cables) is misuse of the overdrive feature. Selecting OD for driving around town allows the trans to 'hunt' between 3rd and OD. Ford valved these transmissions for soft shifts, the heat build up from hunting in and out of OD kills the OD band in short order and (since the band still tries to apply) 3rd gear follows soon after.

If you insist on adjusting the TV cable, tread carefully.... your wallet is attached to the other end of that cable.

Jim Warman

Much good reading from Jim Warman. I agree 100% I'd like to know exactly what these shops are doing to alter the shift points. I've read two posts now about lowering the 2nd gear shift points in an attempt to increase longevity. I have been raising mine with no problem. No warranty from my builder since he knew that I was going into the valve body.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

My familiarity with the AOD isn't what it could be and I spend a lot of time dealing with the 4R70W now.... Anyway, after consulting the '92 workshop manual (oldest one I have on the good, ol' laptop), I see that setting the TV cable too long will lower the 1-2 shift point. Unfortunately, this lowers the line pressure in the transmission and one of the contributing factors to the early demise of the AOD is the soft shifts that they have scheduled in the valve body..... Lowering the line pressure will exaggerate the shift conditions and will likely make you a repeat customer at the transmission shop (usually, sometime after the warranty has expired).

We get back to my rule of thumb and we will see line pressures as high as possible.... unfortunately, it may come with late/harsh upshifts. There are a lot of goodies available for the AOD and I would suggest that anyone wanting to tailor their AOD to spend the few bux and make changes to the valve body and governor. These transmissions already suffer from restricted line pressure, makes no sense in reducing line pressure and increasing internal slippage (yes, this can occur without the driver ever noticing).

There are too many factors that govern shift feel/schedule that one simple change will rarely give someone the results they desire.

Jim Warman snipped-for-privacy@telusplaneet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

I bought a shift kit from Baumann Engineering. Great people that really = know AOD's. Anyway the kit lets you tailor EACH shift to your liking. It was pretty = simple to do. The instructions are good and if you take your time, read = each step a couple times, then carefully do it. You'll be smiling. It = shows you where to drill what size hole, what spring or spacer to use = etc. I'm very happy with the result. I have a 91 TBird with a 5.0 HO. It = holds first till about 5800 and second till about 5500 the way I have it = set (At WOT of course, normal driving is fine and second is held like a = regular trans). I went pretty much middle of the road in there = instructions. In fact, If I did another one, I would ease up a tad on = the 2-3 shift. Mine hits pretty hard 2-3 , probably even harder than 1-2 = and the tires squawk from 1-2 !

The kits instructions give you good options for all shifts and tells = you how to raise all your shift points.

scheduled in

transmission

Reply to
Dan