AOD problems....

Hi, I thought I'd throw it out here before committing to any costly repairs (i.e. tranny rebuild, ouch).... I also did a search in this group but don't really know if what I found really applies to me.

Lately, the AOD on my 89' Mustang LX has been slipping into neutral at low-speeds, especially when entering or starting out from a complete stop. I called a reputable tranny shop, and they said that a complete rebuild was necessary, and would cost between $1200-1400 CDN. Is there a less costly solution out there?

Thanks,

-Phil

Reply to
Aphel Aura

Here's a US$1500 solution.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

First...don't drive it until you check this!

My fix when this happened to me was real cheap. The TV cable from Ford Cost 54 bucks. Still haven't installed it (I did buy it though), But it was the clip that failed.

The TV cable is connected to the throttle body. There is a cheap clip there that fails. If the clip fails, the TV cable breaks loose from the throttle body. Gravity naturally pulls it away and it just hangs there. Look underneath the throttle body and see if there's a loose cable first. Mine has been tied with tie wraps for over a year..works fine but I do intend to replace the whole setup. The clip is notorious for failing there on AOD transmissions.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Jimmy

Aphel Aura wrote:

Reply to
Jimmy

These trannies suck stock. I have had mide doe every 50,000 or so. The first time the shop added more clutch plates but 10,000 miles later I blew the planetary. Spend extra for improved parts. Also add cooler and shift kit.

Reply to
Gary Vitagliano

Mine has been running fine, abused by me all its life on the same tranny fluid and filter no less since March of 1991. (83541.8 miles now...just checked)

I've had mine since day one, drove it today (as I mentioned above WITH my fix on the TV cable to the throttle body) and had a fantastic day. I've added NOTHING to it in 16 years and it runs fine.

To the > These trannies suck stock. I have had mide doe every 50,000 or so. The

Reply to
Jimmy