AOD questions

Anyone here an expert on AODs? I'm working a 91 version. I'm replacing the front and rear seals. The rear was tight, but I got the seal in. Trans pan/filter is easy of course. Problem is the front. There is a panel with about 7 bolts on the front of the trans (behind converter) that the forward shaft comes through, and you can see the fwd seal. Question is, am I supposed to remove this panel to push the seal out from the back, or pry it out? The panel doesn't seem to want to come out and I don't want to pry on it.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Reply to
gcroix

Sounds like you are referring to the pump.... probably not something you'd want to remove by accident. Hopefully, neither the O-ring nor the gasket has suffered any injury from your attempts to remove it. The trans filter pushes up into the pump and that is what is likely all that's holding it in place.

The seal is pried (carefully) from the front. Work carefully since it is possible to damage both the seal bore and the pump bushing.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the reply. I really haven't poked at it much. I had a feeling that I didn't want to mess with the 'pump' when it didn't come right once the screws were removed.

I'll still try to swap it, but I'll be very careful.

How much MPG can I expect, do you think, using a 5.0 EFI, this 91 AOD, and a

3.0 rear gear?

Thanks again for the reply. I always read your posts, find them helpful for knowlege at the very least.

Gary in NC

Reply to
gcroix

In all honesty, I'm the wrong guy to ask about fuel mileage.... I just pick what it is I want to drive and pay what it takes at the gas pumps.... Fuel mileage is a non-issue for me.... get's in the way of the fun part.... 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

True. This definitely won't be my commuter car, but before this swap the car was 289 plus a C-4, wondering how it would be vs 17 mpg at best.

Reply to
gcroix

I'd put more gear in the rear. You're gonna lug on the interstate in overdrive. I'd run "at least" 3.50's. Put you closer to the powerband in OD. Your engine will barely be idling in OD at 65 with 3.00's.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news:HeqdnZVI_e8pyT snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

True. My LX AOD came stock with 3.27s and it was lame at best. 3.73s are just wonderful for it.

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote

Plus I know of some who get BETTER MGP with 3:73's than 3:27's with an AOD. I know I've experienced something like this between my Ranchero and Mustang. The Mustang has a 351/3:70 combo and the Ranchero has a 302/3:00 combo, yet I actually get better MGP on the street with the Mustang. It's because the Mustang accelerates effortlessly, while the Ranchero has to work to get going, therefore using much more gas. However, the Ranchero blows the Mustang out of the water on long highway trips.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news:9fmdnaAR9udK snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If I stay out of the pedal and keep it below 80mph on the highway, I'll get 20mpg easy. Only thing is that it's tuned for 93 octane, which is now $2.38/gal.

Reply to
Joe

Huh. That's what I'm paying for regular 87.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Garth Almgren wrote in news:3ghjvlFcfcobU2 @individual.net:

Where are you Garth?

Reply to
Joe

Regular 85 octane here in Denver just dipped below $2.00 for the first time in about 6 months.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

About 20 miles north of Seattle. I should mention that the 76 station nearest my house is one of the more expensive outside of downtown Seattle. At least one of the 76 stations I pass during my commute is down to $2.26 for regular. The various mini-marts are all around $2.20 or so.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

85? Is that a high elevation thing?
Reply to
Garth Almgren

That's sad. When I lived in the SeaTac area, gas was under 50 cents a gallon, and they were having price wars, so you actually paid 24-35 cents, and still got your plaid stamps, glassware, and full service.....

I expect to be visit>Around 6/5/2005 7:17 PM, Joe wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

"Garth Almgren" wrote

Yep, in Collaraddy we have 85, 87 and 91. But we usually pay more than the national average during winter and less than the national average during summer (For LOWER octane ratings). The altitude up here is like running about 1 point less compression. So my 10:1 302 is "seeing" 9:1. Another reason I'm considering supercharging my 9.5:1 400 stroker 351W. It "sees"

8.5:1 and should take well to forced induction, as long as I stay near the mountains, lol!

It's already at 320HP and 380Tq at altitude, imagine what 7-10lbs of boost would do!?!?! Put some GT-40X heads on there and a Paxton and I'm in the

400's. The biggest problem with the altitude is there just flat out isn't enough oxygen. My stroker loses ~100hp and tq to what it'd make at sea level.
Reply to
66 6F HCS