Aod woes

I have an 89 with aod trans.My tranny wont shift gears.I have reverse and low but no drive or overdrive.I cant detect any slipping.Normaly I would think the tranny went but several people said to check the valve body and the tv cable.The cable looked good so I dropped the pan and found small and I mean like dust size pieces of metal in the pan.Again I would normaly think the tranny is gone but Two mechanics at work said that some metal is normal and to check the valve body.So here I am wondering should I take their advice and potentialy waste money on A new VB or just get another trans.Thanx. Steve

Reply to
Steve H.

Steve H. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You know what a valve body, does .. right? It's what shifts the gears.

I'm not an real knowledgable on transmissions but it sounds like a great learning experience.

It all depends on whether you EVER had any slippage and how many miles on the thing.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Metal shaving in an automatic transmission pan is ....NORMAL??????

I want some of what these guys are smoking!

Find yourself a local, independent transmission shop and have them take a close look. If you see metal shavings in the pan, it's probably time for another transmission. Seriously. Steer clear or DuraBuilt or AAMCO. Chances are, those metal shavings have shredded and/or plugged up half the valve body seals, and it's time for a rebuild.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

And stop slamming it into drive at full throttle, Dammit!

Reply to
Mark

JD Adams opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.here:

Did he say SHAVINGS????

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Whaddaya think that magnet is there to catch? Clutch fiber :)

He said SHAVINGS, but he clarified "dust like" which sounds pretty normal.

Agree about SpAAMCO though... I wouldn't send a CHEVY driver there :)

Well, ... ya maybe I would.. :D

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

My mom had an auto car once that did the same thing; it would work fine in reverse and 1st but wouldn't shift out of first. Turned out to be a vacuum line had come unhooked; we all said "it couldn't possibly be that." But we hooked it back up and it started shifting fine.

Reply to
John

JD, small metal particles are the result of normal wear and tear in hydro mesh automatic transmissions. Me thinks there maybe problems with the shifter?

Reply to
Mr. Ford

I donno. After reading your whimsical post on 'PCM software degredation', I'll have to just thank you for your opinion and move on.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams