AODE Transmission Upgrade \ Smoked Trans

95 GT Convertible with AODE

OK here the deal: My GT w\ AODE has less than 60K miles, been pretty much maintainted very well and have slowly been adding MODS to it. Unfortunately the AODE is not a very responsive tranny, so I end up doing alot of manual shifting. Bad news is that I just smoked my trans (3rd gear no longer exists). Now Im not the most mechanical person in the world but love my stang (which is why I am here).

I got qouted about $1200-1400 to rebuild the trans back to OEM specs. My though was 'well if im going to be spending that kind of money, maybe I should get something a little more heavy-duty so Im not in the same situation in a year.' The guy at the shop said he could add a shift kit to make the trans more responsive. I dont think this translates into 'heavy-duty' though. I think most of the cost would be labor related at the shop...

Im just a street guy, no racing or anything (maybe someday), but do drive the stang hard. Would this be a good time to upgrade to a performance trans? Are there any good companies that could be recommended? Whats the best bang-for-the-buck: a entirely new trans or getting mine rebuilt + shift kit?

I found a guy on EBAY that deals with remanufacured performance transmissions and it sounds like a better package vs. the orignal tranny rebuild + a shift kit. Seems like a pretty good deal for the $, and would probably require less labor. What do you think?

I am also open to any suggestions as to what the more experienced and mechanically inclined folks would do at this point. Thanks.

Reply to
Echoadmin

Hard to say what's really *best* for you. there are many options. But a few thoughts...

  1. the trans you linked to won't work for you car. It's an AOD, not an AODE.

  1. even within AODE's you have to make sure it specifically says it's for your application. IIRC 94/95 will ONLY interchange within those years. An AODE from an Explorer or something else may LOOK the same, but it won't work right, and the powertrain computer will be all pissed off!

If you are not really planning on racing or anything, I would just go with a good rebuild from a reputable shop. Make SURE they put in all the updates available so that it is really BETTER than a new trans. If it's rebuilt right, with good parts, by a good tech (and taken care of ) it should last

150-200k

either way, Sux to have a relatively low miles trans blow!

good luck!

Chief_Wiggum

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Echoadmin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Joe

I wouldn't buy a trans from a guy who can't even type properly. I didn't bother reading more than a sentence or two of that link as it is nauseating to read. You are best off converting to a manual transmission, or selling the car and buying one with a manual transmission.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Well I went through the same thing at about 60K although I started out looking at a problem with the torque converter (shutter problem on the 2-3 &

3-4 shift). My recommendation is a quality rebuild with a shift kit AND a good transmission cooler. You will be impressed by the difference. I also installed a high stall torque converter at the same time.
Reply to
Richard

Thanks for the advice guys.\

My real goal here is to have a 'better' than OEM transmission after I am done. Something that is more reponsive and something that is going to take some mild 'abuse'. Im just worried that I will in the same boat in a year or two. I did check out the Lantech trannys and they look pretty good but would be about $1000k more than a good rebuild. The pro to a LAnteck is a lifetime warranty. Do the shops usually use better materials in rebuilds or use something a little more durable?

What costs should I be looking at as far as a rebuild w\ shift kit, new cooler, and torque converter?.

Whats the benefit of a high stall converter vs standard?

Am I a fool to manually shift my AODE? I have read about AOD to manual conversions....is this practical?

Just trying to explore the options before I shell out a few thousand bucks.

Thanks a bunch.

Echoadmin

Like I said... If you are not really planning on racing or anything, I would just go with a good rebuild from a reputable shop. Make SURE they put in all the updates available so that it is really BETTER than a new trans. If it's rebuilt right, with good parts, by a good tech (and taken care of ) it should last

150-200k

Chief_Wiggum

You get what you pay for. A rebuild is cheaper than a LenTech, but the warranty on a rebuild will only be a year at most. The LenTech is also designed to be shifted manually or left in Drive.

"Chief_Wiggum" wrote in news:SZB7d.7478$uY3.1789@fed1read03:

Reply to
Joe

Manual shifting (especially downshifting) an AODE will lead to its failure and is NOT recommended.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Yours lasted a long time. I blew out three OD gears in my 1988 by 60k.

Reply to
rander3127

Yikes!! Are you sure Tim? I thought it was the pressure regulated AOD series that didn't like manual downshifting, but the E units didn't care???

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del

I think I have a good solution worked out for me - PLEASE feel fee to comment (no money spent yet!)

After calling around many trans shops, I came to the realization that many folks at the shops didn't want to deviate outside the original transmission specs (hey the Ford engineers know whats best..). Spoke to Lantech and the folks were very helpful. But ultimately w\ them being in Canada, I hate the idea of spending this kind of $ with folks I can't physically strangle if something goes wrong :)

Came across a shop locally in Michigan that specialize in mustang performance "Alernative Auto" . Has anyone used these folks before? Commments? They saw the mods as everyday fair and the price was reasonble in comparision to some other qoutes I've gotten for standard rebuilds. A rebuild w\ shift kit was something like $1750. I've been wanting to get my car to this shop for sometime so I had a bunch other mods figured in to the price (4:10 gears, chip tune, tune-up, trans cooler, headers, and pulleys) for around $3100 (incl trans) which seemed fair to me.

This seems like a safer solution then dealing with mail-order, and it sounds like I'll get a more personal service.

I want to keep the group posted on these possible mods. Long wanted, but susspension and asthetics had to came first (conv top & lifts, cobra rims\tires, springs\struts\shocks).

With this being spent IM starting to feel dizzy........wait.....thats just me going upside down on my car value :)

Reply to
Echoadmin