Are burnouts bad for my '05 GT? Seriously

I know about tire wear. But other than that, what kind of damage can I expect on my '05 GT with an automatic trans? It has 31,000 relatively gentle miles, I'd like it to last years, but I want to have some fun every once in awhile when nobody is around. I do all oil changes at

3,000 miles and use Mobil 1, 5-20w, and motorcraft filters.

Thanks

Reply to
dupedcyclist

I have no hard evidentiary facts for you, but, yes.

Are they "bad" for your car? Define "bad." Certainly, the car is capable of doing burnouts all day every day, but you can expect one part or another to fail faster than it would if you babied the thing.

Your transmission is going to need periodic maintenance. Burnouts will probably hasten the need for that maintenance.

I only recently had a shift kid installed in my "new" '93 GT. Nothing fancy, it only serves to greatly reduce the shift interval between gears. You might want to look into one. Having an automatic that chirps the tires going into

2nd gear is pretty cool.

dwight

dwight

As long as you're not doing neutral drops you should be fine. I think the engineers that designed the Mustang GT did so with burnouts in mind. Light those tires up because that is one of the things the car was designed to accomplish.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

As long as you're not doing neutral drops you should be fine. I think the engineers that designed the Mustang GT did so with burnouts in mind. Light those tires up because that is one of the things the car was designed to accomplish.

Reply to
.boB

The only deleterious effect you're likely to notice (unless you keep the car for 250,000 miles) is that molten rubber from the spinning rear tires will vulcanize itself on the inner fender wells and fender lips. It's not easy to get off without creating blemishes.

Reply to
Frank ess

They do accelerate wear and tear, however, a performance car that is not at least occasionally driven hard will suffer wear and tear of a different sort.

The worst thing about doing burnouts will be the cop you didn't notice :0) In California it's called "exhibition of speed" and "breaking traction".

Live on the edge. Go ahead. Mechanics need the income :0)

Reply to
Spike

Tires cone to mind....

Reply to
WindsorFox

Your car will be fine... just don't do them all th

time or anything. I always spin the tires in my cars, but only reall do burnouts at the track

Reply to
getfrog

The fun thing about the 5r55s automatic tranny in the S197 Mustangs is it's computer controlled... no more shift kits... shift points, shift firmness, etc. are all controlled by the computer!

I had 60,000 very hard miles on mine without a single problem. LOTS of burnouts, lots of N20 bottles, etc. Only thing i found was it really like to have it's fluid changed about every 20,000 miles...

Reply to
John S.

I had a hopped- up (AMRAM mass air & chips) 1988 LX 5.0 5 speed that I bought new...It could put down enough Smoke four the 4'th infantry division on set of Goodyear 50 series radial slicks all day long and night long too, never had an issue, mechanically. 45K

However, everytime it rained water poured in through the windsheild from the big gap at the top from all the body torsion. The 1988's were like wet rags for a chasis. It had four shocks on a solid rear axle...At 150 mph she bounced around like a happy puppy... Added a front tower brace later. Helped.

New one is (2006) is stiffer by far but has a split rear end, does it not.

Reply to
Lazimodo