As Promised::: My GT vs V6 Test drive ::::::

So I kept my appointment with the dealer today and tried the GT vs the V6, both were coupes BTW. The GT was moderatly equipped and sticker'd in at $30,000 give or take. The V6 had a Pony package, Interior upgrade and some security upgrade and sticker'd at $24,000 approx.

Both cars were excellent, although I felt the V6 might be a little more fun on country back roads because it just felt more nimble.

IOW I felt the V6 actually handled better than the GT.

The numbers might prove me wrong, but it felt that way.

The dealer said the Pony Package is a major upgrade in the suspension area (I thought it was just a rear anti-sway bar?)and that the 2006+ with the Pony handle better than the 2005s. The GT felt a bit heavier, at least to me.

Bottom line?

Yea, the GT has more power, when and if you need it.

However, for normal driving (not drag racing from a standing start), the V6 really holds it's own.

The reality of it, at least to me, is that there is no way $6000 dollars difference between these cars.

Also the dealer made no bones about dropping hints that the V6 was negotiable and the Gt was not.

Yes the GT more than likely will hold it's value a bit better, but I keep my cars forever so that is not a factor, although for others it might be.

Bottom line?

My wife didn't even notice the difference between the 2 cars :(

ie:why are those lights bigger on this one?

(Bigger is better!! I said!! Then she looked at the sticker, so that one went down the drain hahah!)

As for me?

Yea, if someone dropped a GT in my lap I would say it is the better car, but I have to pay for my cars and for everyday spirited driving, the V6 is one hell of a deal.

In normal driving, it's 95 percent or more of a GT.

However, when that hemi is in the next lane and the light turns green :) Well you get my drift

BTW after years of driving minivans, I am immune to the sneers from just about every other driver!

I'm going for my Vista blue V6 :)

Reply to
Terry Brannigan

[...]

Guess why? A lot of people don't want a 6 banger. GT's don't usually last very long on the lots.

True story: Met up with a kid two weeks ago at a Ford dealer. He was turning in his 06 GT for a used 04 Mach1. We got to talking and found out he'd turned in his 03 stealth Mach for the 06 GT and now wanted back into the Mach fold. Turns out we know each other from the Mach1 forum. :)

But read your bottom line again: "Yea, if someone dropped a GT in my lap I would say it is the better car, "

The GT IS a better car but you're going for the best price and value for your money and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

Enjoy your great new ride and thanks for the great review.

:>Yes the GT more than likely will hold it's :>value a bit better, but I keep my cars forever so that is not a factor, :>although for others it might be. :>

:>Bottom line? :>

:>My wife didn't even notice the difference between the 2 cars :( :>

:>ie:why are those lights bigger on this one? :>

:>(Bigger is better!! I said!! Then she looked at the sticker, so that one :>went down the drain hahah!) :>

:>

:>As for me? :>

:>Yea, if someone dropped a GT in my lap I would say it is the better car, :>but I have to pay for my cars and for everyday spirited driving, the V6 is :>one hell of a deal. :>

:>In normal driving, it's 95 percent or more of a GT. :>

:>However, when that hemi is in the next lane and the light turns green :) :>Well you get my drift :>

:>BTW after years of driving minivans, I am immune to the sneers from just :>about every other driver! :>

:>I'm going for my Vista blue V6 :) :>

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

Thanks for the review and update!

You should be able to get a very nice deal on the V6! Mine stickered for around $24K but got it for just under $22K...

For one of the best S197 4.0 forums check out:

John S.

yea, the GT V8 will bog like an old truck from start, why did they turn it into an old ladies car ?

makes the V6 seem OK

makes me want to keep the 5.0 Fox body, it has an 8# on it and peels out through 3rd gear.

Reply to
Tito Mangiuea

Your right Terry it is nose heavy due to the weight of the motor. The V6 is more nimble. Your V6 has more potential that you realize since it was detuned so it wouldn't compete with the GT. Not that the GT is any "better" as someone else stated. Has two more cylinders, weighs more, and less mpg's. Yeah it puts out more hp, it better with two more cylinders, but you can match it, if you really wanted to, with the right mods with your sixer and still be nimble.

Get yourself a SCT tuner from Evo, JBA headers, better muffler and a CAI and then report back how your V6 runs. Really wanna have some fun? throw in a set of 4:10's, and you'll launch as well as a GT. A little bit of fun, use

3:73's. Your not going to be taking down HEMI's, if you wanted to do that, you should of bought a HEMI and a home loan to keep gas in it.

But do those mods, its not going to give you 100hp, but about an extra

30-35hp which would bump you up to the 240-245 range, and your going to surprise a lot of people when you say its a V6. And none of that voids your warranty.

Happy the way it is? Then keep it that way. Its your car and I'm sure your gonna enjoy it bone stock or mod.

Reply to
chris

Gonna have to disagree with you on one thing... Headers.. The stock manifolds on the V6 are actually pretty descent... Headers will only show a minimal gain for a fairly expensive mod. Headers on the 4.0L are probably in the 5RWHP range...

Oh one other item.. The V6 has an open differential while the GT gets a Trac-Lok LSD... Not sure if anyone has pointed that out... In my car I put a set of 4:10's and a Trac-Lok..

Reply to
John S.

:>

[...]

:>>

:>> As for me? :>>

:>> Yea, if someone dropped a GT in my lap I would say it is the better car, :>> but I have to pay for my cars and for everyday spirited driving, the V6 is :>> one hell of a deal. :>>

:>> In normal driving, it's 95 percent or more of a GT. :>>

:>> However, when that hemi is in the next lane and the light turns green :) :>> Well you get my drift :>>

:>> BTW after years of driving minivans, I am immune to the sneers from just :>> about every other driver! :>>

:>> I'm going for my Vista blue V6 :) :>

:>Your right Terry it is nose heavy due to the weight of the motor. The V6 is :>more nimble. Your V6 has more potential that you realize since it was :>detuned so it wouldn't compete with the GT. Not that the GT is any "better" :>as someone else stated.

Terry said the GT was a better car, I agreed with him.

:>Has two more cylinders, weighs more, and less mpg's. :>Yeah it puts out more hp, it better with two more cylinders, but you can :>match it, if you really wanted to, with the right mods with your sixer and :>still be nimble.

You're going to match 300hp without a blower?

:>Get yourself a SCT tuner from Evo, JBA headers, better muffler and a CAI and :>then report back how your V6 runs. Really wanna have some fun? throw in a :>set of 4:10's, and you'll launch as well as a GT. A little bit of fun, use :>3:73's. Your not going to be taking down HEMI's, if you wanted to do that, :>you should of bought a HEMI and a home loan to keep gas in it. :>

:>But do those mods, its not going to give you 100hp, but about an extra :>30-35hp which would bump you up to the 240-245 range, and your going to :>surprise a lot of people when you say its a V6. And none of that voids your :>warranty.

Ok, so you're going to be down 55 hp from the GT with your mods. Now you're talking needing a blower, right?

Btw, what's the real world gas milage difference between the GT and 6 banger?

I drive a Mach 1 [ exhaust, tune, chip, 4:10's cold air induction ] and I get between 24 and 26mpg on the highway.

Yeah it's premium gas but it dynos close to 400hp and close to 385 ft lbs of torque.

:>Happy the way it is? Then keep it that way. Its your car and I'm sure your :>gonna enjoy it bone stock or mod.

Great cars all the Mustangs. If it weren't for the 6 bangers the Mustang wouldn't have survived to give us the GT's, Cobras, Shelby's, and all the rest of the wonderful cars we have today. My hats off to all you guys. :)

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

To clarify things. I should have been more specific than just the word better :)

By better, I meant more powerful. Sorry for not being more specific!

Obviously when price comes into the loop, the V6 is *better*, at least for me.

Basically what I meant was if someone were to give me one of these cars for free, I would take the GT. Having to pay for one (darn!) is a whole other kettle of fish!

These are both wonderful cars and equally fun to drive and show and I can appreciate how others feel about their rides. That's what makes cars so much fun!!

Reply to
Terry Brannigan

If we all had the same preferences in cars, Ford would still be making Black Model T's... For me, I 'HAD' to have the GT, HAD to have the Convertible, and HAD to have the Dark Charcoal Leather Interior... On the other hand I did NOT have to have the payments... :-) This is my 7th Mustang, and I decided it was time to 'treat' myself... But try as I might, I couldn't justify the money for the Cobra..

Enjoy the Stang...

Tony

06 GT Premium Ragtop Auto Satin Silver, Dark Charcoal Leather....

'Had' - in order....

1969 Mach I - Royal Maroon, Black Interior (351W - 4Speed) 1970 Mach I - Dark Ivy Green Met, Brown Interior (351C - 4 Speed) 1970 Mach I - Dark Blue, Black Interior (351C - 4Speed) 1973 Mach I - Copper, with Brown Interior (351C - Auto) 1970 Sporstroof - Dark Ivy Green Met, White Interior (302 - Auto) 2000 Coupe - Laser Red, Parchment Cloth Interior (V-6 - 5Speed)
Reply to
tony

The 2007 Shelby GT500? FYI: Ford has intentionally NOT given the Shelby GT500 the "Cobra" moniker, because of an actual Cobra remake in the pipeline.

My Names Nobody

Yep, the Shelby.. Sorry.. I am a Classic Mustang fanatic and for me, Shelby and Cobra go hand in hand.. My mistake...

Reply to
tony

:>On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:55:51 -0400, Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote: :>

:>

:>> Terry said the GT was a better car, I agreed with him. :>

:>To clarify things. :>I should have been more specific than just the word better :) :>

:>

:>By better, I meant more powerful.

I understood completely. I also understood your comment that you'd take the GT over the 6 banger if it dropped in your lap.

:>Sorry for not being more specific! :>

:>Obviously when price comes into the loop, the V6 is *better*, at least for :>me.

Understood. Believe me you're in the majority of Mustang owners. The

6 banger *IS* a great value for the money and more than enough car for most.

:>Basically what I meant was if someone were to give me one of these cars :>for free, I would take the GT. :>Having to pay for one (darn!) is a whole other kettle of fish!

I hear ya. :)

:>These are both wonderful cars and equally fun to drive and show and I can :>appreciate how others feel about their rides. :>That's what makes cars so much fun!! :>

:>

:> :>

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

That's kind of hard to believe.

Reply to
GILL

:>Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote: :>

:>> I drive a Mach 1 [ exhaust, tune, chip, 4:10's :>> cold air induction ] and I get between 24 and 26mpg on the highway. :>> :>> Yeah it's premium gas but it dynos close to 400hp and close to 385 ft :>> lbs of torque. :>

:>That's kind of hard to believe.

It comes as a surprise to a lot of folks. :)

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

I'm with you 100%. So much that I now am the proud owner of a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang Coup with Pony Pack.

I don't believe you will be disappointed. It's been a month now since my wife surprised me with my very first "Stang" - red bow and all! Yup... around the corner she came a few Fridays ago with a, "Well is this what you wanted?" And it was. We had been planning on purchasing this new car at the end of the summer but my wife accelerated the process! I have put 3200 miles on it already. I've been getting a prety consistant 21-22 mpg. The Vista Blue is a fantastic color. The Pony Pack is a great addition. I would suggest getting the upgraded interior. I have the standard interior and the black plastic seems a little toy-ish. I don't mind but if I were to change anything, the upgraded interior would be it. I also have the leather interior with the side airbags. The side airbags saved me 5% on my insurance here in New Hampshire. I have heard that the insurance on a GT is much higher.

Good lick with your new Vista Blue "Stang"!

Reply to
Al Antosca

So exhaust, a chip and an air filter in the wheel well got you, what,

85hp? Or is that rwhp, and in that case 145hp? Tell me you also have nitrous oxide please.
Reply to
GILL

:>Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote: :>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:39:00 -0700, GILL :>> wrote: :>> :>> :>Mrs Ken Ehrett wrote: :>> :>

:>> :>> I drive a Mach 1 [ exhaust, tune, chip, 4:10's :>> :>> cold air induction ] and I get between 24 and 26mpg on the highway. :>> :>> :>> :>> Yeah it's premium gas but it dynos close to 400hp and close to 385 ft :>> :>> lbs of torque. :>> :>

:>> :>That's kind of hard to believe. :>> :>> It comes as a surprise to a lot of folks. :) :>> :>

:>So exhaust, a chip and an air filter in the wheel well got you, what, :>85hp? Or is that rwhp, and in that case 145hp? :>

:>Tell me you also have nitrous oxide please.

You should know by now a woman never reveals all her secrets. :)

The same guys who put this together "worked" mine for me. You want a special tweaked and tuned Mustang IMHO these are the guys to see.

Tasca Racing, Tasca Automotive Group, Cranston Rhode Island.

Obviously not my car but images of a special car, a KR 700 from last years show at the Tasca dealership. And yes, Carl Tasca Jr. is Bob Tasca's grandson.

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

at 20 Aug 2006, Terry Brannigan [i.dont snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com] wrote in news:P97Gg.293$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.lga:

According to my local dealer the 'Pony Package' consists of the grille, fancier mats and doorsils as well as special striping. Also in order for it to be applied you have to have the ABS+TCS package installed. There was nothing mentioned about suspension? Can anubody confirm or deny this?

I'm very happy I went with the interior upgrade package having the MyWay gauges and aluminum trim. The Shaker 500 is actually a very nice soundsystem with impressive sound coming out of the speakers. Appears to be made by AudioPhile. It beats the Pioneer system I had in my old

  1. I'm considering some kind of tuner to get the 'off the line sluggishness' issue taken care of as it is starting to irritate me.

Otherwise I Love my vert...

Reply to
Paul

My Names Nobody

I'm confused as well. While the Ford spec sheet doesn't really say one way or the other, these links seem to indicate differently.

So I am not really sure. And then there is the question of size? Maybe the size is bigger with the Pony Package?

Terry Brannigan