Attaching of License Plate

Does anyone know how to attach a front license plate to the front end of a

1987 Mustang GT Covertible without destroying or drilling into the bumper?? There isn't a factory made area on the bumper to place the license plate. Looking for the least intrusive way not to ruin my front bumper. Are there any kits out there to do this??? My state require a front and back plate on the car.

Thanks! John

Reply to
John Hale

There should be two little bumps on the bumper cover where the screws go in for the stock license plate frame. The only way IMO not to have to drill these is to make a bracket that mounts under the lip of the bumper so that at least the mounting holes are out of site. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I mounted mine on the black plastic air dam piece below the bumper...

rec.bicycles.marketplace

Reply to
IamGoode

I agree with 2.3Sleeper. If you don't care if it looks like the factory installation, double-sided tape is the quickest and easiest way to attach the license plate. The tape is extremely strong and durable as long as you clean the parts well before attaching it. Just don't use cheap tape. BTW, if you try to remove the tape later, be careful not to remove your paint along with it.

There is a factory bracket if you want the factory look. My 89LX *HAD* the black plastic bracket. Got ripped off the bumper in a garage accident, but that's another story.

I think the same bracket fits the GT. You would have to drill holes in the bumper cover to mount it. I think the holes are already there in the bumper itself. The bracket was mounted with rivets, so it couldn't be removed to clean behind it. I plan to tap the existing holes and use bolts to hold it on when I get around to reinstalling mine. The part number stamped on my bracket is E6ZB-17A385-AA. I don't know what it means, but right under that is "CAV 2", and below that, "MADE IN CANADA". I think 1/2 of the car is made in Canada, 1/2 in France and the other 1/2 in Mexico! Anyway, the bracket mounts with two holes in the front of the bumper with the top edge just below the word MUSTANG and reaches under the bumper to two more holes there.

Reply to
Blue Gator

Huh? The original poster has an '87 like me which uses a frame, Your 2000 is a bit different.

From the factory the front plate frame is shipped inside the car. The dealer installs them as PDI in jurisdictions that require a front plate. Two dimples are on the front of the bumper facia under the MUSTANG embossed name to locate where it goes. The other dimples would be out of sight under the lip of the bumper by the air intake. It sounds like you tried to do the same thing I was describing. Big difference is the '87 actually has the places for holes on the underside to mount such a bracket to. So two stiff L shaped metal brackets would work and would allow the plate to "float" in front of the unmolested bumper cover. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The part number stamped on my

Means it's an 1986 Mustang part!

but right under that

The bumper is made in Canada too. I worked in the factory that made them, Polycon in Guelph Ontario. Got to see the SN 95 front and rear facias in 1993! Most of the interior plastic stuff on a Mustang has been made molded in Canada since Mustangs first came out ('69/'70 consoles for sure) Seat foam made by Hoover chemical in Tillsonburg. Seats by Lear seating. StuK

1/2 in France and the other 1/2 in Mexico! Anyway, the
Reply to
Stuart&Janet

dealer installs them

I didn't know they were dealer installed. Mine was already on the car when I bought it. Learn something new everyday!

Reply to
Blue Gator

That's what I would do if I was forced to put a front plate on Shug.. fortunately her bumper was a virgin when I got her, and still is.

3M two sided automotive adhesive tape would be the ticket.. Clean her up real good, and when you attach it, use some masking tape to keep pressure on it for a day while it settles in. Just attach the bracket first, then anything else.

Kate

| > Thanks! | > John | >

| | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey John,

Keep in mind, I live in a small town where everyone, including all the police know me.

I asked a couple of the officers here if there was a problem with not having a front plate on the car. Texas requires this, and not having one gives the police probable cause to pull you over and check you out.

The 2 that I talked with said that they didn't care if I had the plate mounted on the front or not, and as long as I wasn't drinking or had drugs on me or in the car, getting stopped for it wasn't a big issue.

I recently drove the car over to MS.. going through Ark, Tenn and OK and didn't get stopped, although I stuck the plate in the winshield on the passenger side so that it could be seen from oncoming traffic.

I said that same thing that you are saying.. I didn't want to damage the bumper by screwing into it to mount the plate. So far, I haven't had any problems with it, and I wont bother trying to get it mounted until and unless I get stopped and it becomes and issue.

At this point, depending on the cost of the *ticket* for not having it mounted on the bumper, I will prolly just pay the fine and keep the plate in the window.

If you are in a small enough town/city, I would stop in and ask the local PD what their position is on the front plate. If they dont have a problem with it not being there, then I would just pop it up in the window, or not even bother with it unless they say otherwise.

JC

Reply to
Jake Nichols