Auto Trans Reset - '03 V-6

Greetings!!

Our new little '03 'vert (V-6 Premium) seems to be having some growing pains in the auto trans area. At slow speeds (around the neighborhood friendly

25-30 MPH) it acts like it's searching for the right gear and then as you speed up a bit, the lock-up is pretty noticeable. I had a '00 coupe w/V-6/auto and did not notice this. Took it to my dealer and, of course, got the "all appears normal to us" response. They also mentioned that this is an adaptive transmission, and perhaps it's still learning our habits. (We got it with about 100 miles on it and it's now at about 800.) If this is true, I was thinking that before I go back again and complain a bit harder, I might try "re-booting" the little computer on board and start the adaptation process fresh. At least I would be able to overcome their initial diagnosis a bit quicker.

Was wondering how long I need to disconnect the battery in order to force a "re-boot"?

Also wondering if there would be any down side or potential for harmful consequences if I did this? (Other than having to reset the clock and my radio pre-sets!!)

Thanks, in advance.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

LAst month I was in San Francisco and rented a '03 with the same driveline. I felt the transmission pretty much sucked. It seemed to be constantly searching for the right gear, and lock up came on with a bang. I was not impressed with the tranny at all.

Reply to
.boB

I've been told by some of the others here in the group that you disconnect the batter for about 20-30 minutes. The only "down side or potential for harmful consequences" would be that your clock would reset and you would lose all of your radio presets. So, the effects of disconnecting the battery aren't permanent, just more of an annoyance.

Reply to
Greg B.

Greg

Thanks ... just what I needed to know!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Does the '02 have the same kind of trans brain??

Reply to
C Green

I believe the trany is controlled by the ECU computer. As far as the years go, I'll have to defer to the more knowledgeable denizens of this group to inform you of what version of computer came with what year of Stangs.

But, if you are asking if you can do the same thing, then the answer is yes. Any car that uses a computer to control/monitor the engine and trany systems can be re-set/re-booted by disconnecting the battery for a period of time. Unless the manufacture used a method of supplying the ECU with its own power source, then one would have to consult a newsgroup for that particular make/model car or do a search on the net.

Reply to
Greg B.

Greetings, once again!!

Although far to soon to speak with authority, after resetting my 'lil computer (by disconnecting power for about an hour) it does seem that the tranny is behaving itself somewhat more crisply. Could very well be my imagination, but at least in the first 50 miles or so after the reset, on the same roads, at the same speeds, it seems both smoother and less like its searching for the right gear.

We'll see.

Thanks ... hope the remainder of y'all's weekend is as nice as we're having in the Seattle area -- 80 degrees and just right for a run with the top down!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Reply to
Ken