Back lighted intrument panel

Does anyone know if a backlighted instrumnet panel is available for the first gen Fox Mustangs?

Reply to
elaich

I knew I had seen this before, but I had to search for the link. They're a little pricey, but amazing. Florida 5.0 custom builds new instrument clusters with Autometer gauges. You can replicate the stock gauge selection, or build your own, and it's available with Autometer Phantom, Ultra-lite, or Pro-Comp gauges. It looks a little pricey but like a nice high-end custom look. They are at

withselections available from 79 - 04.

Reply to
Jim C

Also, MC Machine

sells justthe plates for you to build out with gauges you supply. The websiteindicates they're sold out,but I don't know if that's accurate. Partsof the site are under construction, and I'm not sure who you'd bedoing business with. It looks like a good product, and a good chanceto get the same look as the Florida 5.0 package, at a savings for a doit yourselfer.

Personally, I'd be wary about doing business with an unknown small - looking company. Has anyone dealt with these guys?

Reply to
Jim C

I have a Florida 5.0 cluster in my 1991 GT. I bought it quite a while ago, but it looks like the prices have gone up since then. When I purchased mine, I just got the blank panel and purchased the gauges separately. Everything went about as well as can be expected with only a small amount of trimming of the steering column shroud required to get everything to fit. Wiring was a pain in the butt, though that's to be expected. I went with an electronic speedometer since I've had too much bad luck with cables going bad. The Auto Meter speedometer sending unit is a little on the bulky side and something of a pain to get in the transmission, but it's not that bad and definitely worth the effort.

As far as the transaction with Florida 5.0 went, I have no complaints. I found them to be polite and quick, plus quite helpful in getting the exact panel I wanted made. I went with one that is basically the same as their CDE-687A model, but I had them install extra lights to handle the various idiot lights for oil, alternator, coolant level, etc. The bigger problem was coming up with a provision for the "check engine" light, which is required to pass emissions in California. Ultimately I found a panel mount

12 volt light assembly with a flat bezel at the local electronic store and glued the original label to the front of it. It looks a great deal better than it sounds, and passes inspection just fine. But it's something to consider if you're going that route.

The big difference I can see between the MC Machine one and the Florida 5.0 one is that the MC machine panel is just a big flat plate, whereas the Florida 5.0 one is actually a formed piece of plastic that has some depth to it. The flat panel one would set the gauges back farther, which would be a little bit better since the Florida 5.0 setup pushes the gauges towards the driver enough to create an irritating reflection in the windshield at night. It looks like you might have less work to do gutting the dash behind the gauges with the Florida 5.0 model, though, which is a worthwhile consideration.

All told, I'm pleased with the one I ordered from Florida 5.0 and would willingly order from them again. But be advised that it does take a while to do the gauge rewiring if you want to keep it neat and tidy.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man