Back to the future

I suppose everybody in the world except me knew, but I just noticed from

thatthe 4.6L 3valve engine is OHV, instead of the SOHC used on earlier4.6L Mustangs.

Anybody know why Ford went back to OHV? (Obviously simpler than DOHC, but there must be some other reason, eh?)

Reply to
Bob Willard

frank

"OHV" does not exclude overhead cam(s), it's just kinda' redundant. Non-Overhead cams should I guess be called "Cam-In-Block" motors, which could be OHV or flathead designs.

Ford is methodically getting out of the cam-in-block engine business.

Except for the NorthStar architecture, GM is sticking with cam-in-block / "OHV" for V- engines, their Atlas series I-4, I-5 & I-6 OHC truck engines are starting to show up with more & more problems, and are not delivering the fuel economy hoped for(which is too bad - the 4.2L I-6 has a lot of potential). The I-4 & I-5 are getting increased displacement & power for 2007.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1