Bad news for 05 owners

Glad I have an 04 :)

Gumby

Blue oval news is like a tabloid. They seem to have it out for Ford. Its misleading cause you would think that they were Pro Ford by the name but most everything they put on there site is negative about Ford. Besides i dont believe everything I read on web sites. We have had our 05 since the second day it was out. we have over 3500 miles on it and dont have any problems with it. It is expected with a new model that there will probably be some problems, thats why you have a warranty just in case. if your not comfortable with the factory warranty you can always spring for an extended warranty. Im not worrried about it though, especially since the source was blueoval news

Reply to
Ryan West

Yes, that is true. Notice that the order was issued in 8/04. If I remember correctly, it delayed the introduction of the new Mustang by a few weeks or so until the problem was fixed.

Reply to
.boB

Perhaps if most of the news coming out of Ford wasn't so negative, BON and others wouldn't report such negative news. When something good happens, BON reports it. It just so happens that with Ford, 10 bad things happen for every one good.

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

Such as?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Constantly declining market share is a nice place to start. Ford's dependence on one product line, the F-series. Ford Motor still looses money despite that it produces the best selling vehicle in the U.S. On many products, Ford earns lower than industry average quality reports.

Do you want to discuss fleet sales and re-sale value?

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

All US atuomakers are declining in market share, however honda's 29.4% sales increase came at the cost of 1.4% for gm and less than that from Ford. Simple math means that mopre cars on the road means more oppritunity for complaints.

However, if the average buyer/driver of an American car lavished the attention and money on the vehicle as most foreign car owners do. American cars would last for 40years and run millions of miles. The mindset of folks who buy/drive american is much different than those who buy foreign.

As to bad news from FORD.Lincoln./Mercury vs say GM with Chev/buick/pontiac/olds/ geo/saturn/Caddy/GMC truck ect...add up all the bad post from the various divisions and you'll find that the big three are about even....

Reply to
walt peifer

This does not make any sense at all. Quality ratings are demonstrated by a ratio; X problems per 1,000 cars. NOT, X problems for entire fleet. According to your, "simple math," the best thing a manufacturer could do to improve quality would be to build fewer products. Toyota and Honda have been improving their quality while building more cars than ever before.

Yeah right.

Actually, quality numbers at GM, in particular at Cadillac, have been improving quite handily.

Foreign makes control about 50% of the U.S. retail market. Try to find yourself some real numbers.

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

lol... Jim u need to snag a drink & cool off, bud =). Gettin yer panties all knotted up. I was just curious.. no need to have a hissy fit.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Sorry Mike I didn't mean to seem high-strung or anything. My dismissive words were not directed at you.

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

Well, mine's not built yet, so...

Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Never been to the west coast have you? The beat-it-up-leave-it-as-junk cars of choice are Japanese. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda. There are plenty of them that have been on the road for 20-30 years.

English, Italian and German cars? They have records similar to the US big

3, or worse.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Most English cars are crap (as the former proud owner of a Triumph TR-7, I speak from experience).

German cars have been losing their hold on the market for the past decade - still good cars, but not living up to the reps that they once had (Mercedes, BMW, and the venerable VW Bug).

Almost all Italian cars sold in America are exotics, so to compare them to a Handa or a Ford would be apples and oranges.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

That's like saying, most American cars are crap, witness my '83 Omni. There's a big difference between a '75 Triumph and say,

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

I was thinking of Fiat vs. Honda. My sister bought one about 20 years ago instead of a Honda and wished she hadn't. It was essentially the "high quality" predecessor to the Yugo.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Welcome to last week.

That was posted back in August on the BON site, and now they admit it's a re-post and the only affected cars have likely been fixed already.

-Bill J.

95 GT (current car) On order: '05 Premium Satin Silver GT 5-speed, IUP, ICAP, Alarm
Reply to
Bill Jones

Jim, what happened to the Capri?

I've been considering resurrecting my '86 Capri 5.0 5-speed... I miss that car. Relatively fresh paint job, McLaren hatch, '83 hood with scoop and hood vents. Needed a few things and the floor was just starting to rot a bit, so I put her down... but she's been sitting in my friend's field for a few years and have been considering a come-back tour...

JS

Reply to
JS

I hit some ice, slid off the road and hit a rock resulting in a bent chassis. Everything is fine except the chassis. But, it's un-driveable and would cost quite a bit to get fixed. It's just sitting in my garage now. I haven't decided what to do with it just yet.

In the interim I picked up a '92 LX coupe 2.3liter with the intention of swapping the engine (93 5.0)& everything(Cobra brakes, all sorts of suspension stuff). I still haven't decided if I want to do that though. I keep looking at the Capri and she calls to me, "No, don't tear out my heart! Fix me, let me live again!" It's tough to just throw away all the work I put into that chassis. Much of it is new metal; there is no rust, it's customized and painted.

I hope you have an easier time when considering the options for your Capri. It's difficult if you have a sentimental attachment to a car.

Jim S. '92 LX coupe '82 Capri (R.I.P.)

Reply to
Jim S.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

As for my Capri, it would really probably be for my girl to drive on the weekends. She's fallen in love with the idea of V8 rear wheel drive, and though she'd rather have a WS-6, she'd probably take what she can get. Besides, I have a '95 Eclipse GSX (AWD turbo-4 5-speed) as a daily beater and a '97 Cobra for the summer days, so another toy isn't a necessity.

The Capri, while shiny, does have its share of problems. The passenger side ball joint needs replaced - the driver's side was just done with a used part (swapped the whole A-arm), but now the passenger side wants one. From sitting in the field, some sort of animal chewed through the fuel line near the gas tank. It needs tires and a battery. I believe it also has a broken freeze plug, so I'd have to rip the engine out and replace them. The traction-lok gave up about 500 miles before putting it away, so it's effectively an open differential. While that'll help her get the idea of coutersteer, it wouldn't do too well at the drag strip, which she'd like to try this spring/summer. The suspension is stock... the struts + shocks replaced probably once in the 180k miles it's accumulated over the years.

On the bright side, the transmission, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main seal are all recent and the interior's in pretty good shape. Engine runs strong (coolant leakage aside).

Decisions, decisions. I could put that car together for under a grand...

JS

Reply to
JS

With all due respect, WTF are ya waithig for?

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog