Balancing an engine....

i bought everything for a shortblock, my question is, do i HAVE to balance it and what would happen if i didnt.. i bought a street/strip Eagle 347 stroker kit, a stock 5.0 block...i have the right balancer and flywheel.... please email me the advice cuz i dont get around to checkin on here that often.. thanx =)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
XxJoSHiExX

The only thing that need to be balanced is the crank. Seeing that you bought an Eagle stroker kit the crank has already been balanced. The thing you need to know is what balance it is. Either it is a 50oz balance or it is a 28oz balance. Your flywheel if it is a standard and harmonic balancer have to match your crank balance.

So if your crank was balanced for 28oz then you would need to install a 28oz harmonic balancer and a 28oz flywheel.

Reply to
Carver

If the motor is going to see any high rpm use, I heartily recommend getting the reciprocating parts balanced as well. Your short blck is like the basement of a house.... build a shakey basement and the whole joint could come tumbling down around your ears.

If you build your shortblock right and fresh it up on a regular basis, it will last through many cars and many cylinder head/manifold combinations. When I was much younger, I did build a couple of grenades..... when things go very wrong, these things can take the block, cam, heads and even intake with them.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Been there, done that! :)

Mark

Reply to
Mark

no you dont "have to", but whats it gunna cost ya to balance everything in it? couple of hundred max? have the caps, rods, pistons looked at too. you will never reget a smooth engine. hth, peter

Reply to
picaza