Belt size for removing air pump from 83 V6

I am not much of a mechanic, but I do know the air pump is not turning and must be locked on my 83 Mustang 3.7 V6. Should I just try to find a belt and bypass the air pump, and if so what size belt should I purchase?

Reply to
shop

" snipped-for-privacy@courtyardstore.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

If the air pump is not turning, your catalytic converter is overheating, and possibly already ruined. I've seen them turn cherry red, which is a fire hazard. Replace the pump. These systems are not like the old '70s style that injected air into the exhaust runners. The converter relies on that air injection for cooling as well as afterburning of emissions.

Reply to
elaich

I saw one of the cherry red ones on a pickup at night in Houston, a real sight too. Glowing hot red.

Reply to
DmitryKovtun

I have read several topics on this in here where people have removed them on newer Mustangs than this. In fact I have found several topics where people just removed them. Are you saying that this specific year is not good to do this with?

Reply to
shop

Why remove them at all? they take almost no HP. If you do straight pipes, take them out, but...

It's your car. Try it and see if the cats get really hot. I don't know where you would find an air pump that old (?)

Reply to
DmitryKovtun

"DmitryKovtun" wrote in news:4582ef11$0$97225$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

How about NAPA?

Reply to
elaich

" snipped-for-privacy@courtyardstore.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

Removed what? Who is saying what? Please learn how to post properly, quoting what you are responding to, so we have a clue what you are talking about. Thank you.

Reply to
elaich

year is not good to do this with?

Air pump on my 83 3.8 V6. The pully is not turning. I am looking for a way to either bypass the air pump all together, or make the pully turn.

Reply to
shop