Best for everyday driving GT, M1 or Cobra?

Jess MacDonald wrote: >

Thanks Jess, I figured as much. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get the chance to test both the GT and a Mach1 (one of only 2 I've seen at all the local Ford Dealers in my area).

Ken

Reply to
KAP

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, you're absolutely right. It's a habit to put the slash in from typing the sig.

Joe

Reply to
Michael Seeley

M1. More affordable than the Cobra, faster than the GT and gas mileage is about the same as the GT, around 200 miles per tank, combined highway city. However, in NJ or other northern state, a winter car is advised mostly because exposing a Mach or Cobra to salt would be a crime.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard
200 miles per tank = 12.9mpg.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I converted kilometers per litre to miles per gallon. Works out to approx. 19mpg because I get 400 kilometers on 50 litres of fuel.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard
200 miles for 15.5 gallon tank works out to 12.9 miles per gallon.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yikes, that can't be correct. My Expedition, gets about 17 mpg combined.

Anyway, test drove 2 Mach1s tonight, a brand new black '04 and a slightly used (1,800 miles) red '04. Dealer is not moving much on the new one - will only go to $28k, the used one they'll let go for ~$22k. I really wasn't negotiating hard because I really don't want black. The red one was real sharp, but I need to check the history a bit more. As far as the drive . . . . wow!!!! What a total rush, the car really wants to leap off the ground. I found the handling to be surprisingly good. It was real hard to drive away from the dealership in my ol' 95 Ranger. To think, all theses years and I've never had the pleasure of driving one of the great cars . . . who knows maybe soon ???

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Reply to
KAP

You'll get at least 17mpg w/ the Mach 1 or GT. My GT regularly got 20+ mpg in city when I stepped on it every now & then. I've got gears now.. and I can get & stay in 5th gear when cruising.. I can easily get 26-28mpg in city.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

200 per tank ?? I get close to 300 per tank with mainly highway, and 250 with highway/city.If you get that low with a GT you are driving very fast or something is wrong with your GT. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying
Reply to
Rein

Hey Ken,

Those Mach 1's are a rush! $22K doesn't sound bad for the 03 and at

1800 miles the car is barely broken in. Head over to the Mach 1 Org
's the thread and ask to have an Oasis Report run on the 03.You'll need the VIN # but it'll give you all the repair and warrantyrecords on the car. The gal that runs the reports works at a FordDealership and she can get you the information within a day or two. jm

Reply to
Jess MacDonald

Thanks jm. It's actually an '04. I definitely check out the Mach 1 Org site.

As always thanks for the advice, Ken

Reply to
KAP

??? Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean "gears"? Upper 20s in the city is pretty amazing.

Ken

Reply to
KAP

I have recently installed 3.73 gears in teh rear differential.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

And you're driving a 2003 SVT Cobra aren't you?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike...

3.73's shouldn't give you *better* gas mileage. Even if you can stay in 5th in the city most of the time, it's still a lot like you're running in 4th with your old gears.

You can, however, get 20+ mpg in the city with a stock (or even geared) GT with good driving habits and synthetic lubricants in everything that spins.

Beware the Mach and the Cobra though - they require premium fuel... use your gas mileage number and multiply by the extra $0.20 you'll be paying per gallon for the good stuff...

JS

Reply to
JS

Everybody I've talked to that has 3.73 gears and knows how to drive has gotten an increase in gas mileage in the city... and I sure as heck did.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

wrote

I wish it worked like that for the vintage iron. I'm only expecting ~15mpg on my stroked 351W, FMX, 3:73:1 posi setup once it's in place. It's gonna kick ass though.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

50 litres = 13.2 gallons. 400 km = 248 miles 248 miles / 13.2 gallons = 18.78mpg. I don't deplete the whole tank before refilling it.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard