BEWARE of Unintended Acceleration...

Beware and be warned. My 2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe w/ auto trans. We took delivery of this Mustang on October 27th 0f this year. A brand new

2006 leftover. We have not had the car two months yet. The car has only 1100 miles on it.

We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on the brakes and could not stop it. The engine would not slow down or go back to idle. All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things. Well I missed the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the second home and hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy and made a 90 degree turn going across the street into a driveway hitting the garage and finally coming to a stop.

When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.

Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems).

Ron in Florida

Reply to
GatorMan

Not possible. No stock street vehicle has enough power to overcome it's braking system. Personally I had _ONE_ rear drum brake stick on a '75 maverick and it could barely move. (oddly enough I had the throttle stick one day when starting it up, I just turned it off and freed the linkage, lubed it and went on with my day) In rec.autos.tech there is thread on a vehicle that has a braking problem where the brakes, all four are dragging and his car can't move under it's own power until the brakes release. No, there is no way that you can be on the brakes and the car get away from you if the brakes are in good servicable condition.

Never thought of turning the key off?

Sounding more like a troll.

Or you could just turn the key off. (of course maybe just not confuse the pedals in the future)

Throttle by wire or throttle cable sticking, same difference, turn off the key.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
GatorMan

[...]

Who taught you to drive? Put the gear lever in neutral and turn the key off. Sheesh.

:>When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a :>dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.

:>Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems). :>

:>Ron in Florida

You don't live under a bridge by any chance do you, Ron? ;)

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:28:19 -0500, GatorMan wrote:

:>I didn't think I would have to deal with an idiot right off the bat. :>You have wonderful hindsight Brent, and it is just that, HIND-SIGHT. :>All this occured in a matter of two minutes.

You spent two minutes bouncing around because you couldn't think to turn the key off, but Brent is the idiot?

I was busy just trying to :>avoid things, you idiot.

Was common sense one of them? Haven't you ever considered what you'd do in different driving situations?

You must be a riot driving on snow.

As for the brakes, I got a test for you Brent. :>Put your vehicle in drive, rev it up to 5000 rpm's and then put on your :>brakes. Continue to keep your foot on the gas pedal. Let me know if it :>stops. Don't do this on any crowded streets. And don't stand in front of :>the car........ :>Ron

Heh, don't try and drag everyone else down to your level of stupidity.....

Sell the car and get ourself a Vespa.

:>Brent P wrote: :>> In article , GatorMan wrote: :>

:>> :>>>We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas :>>>Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all :>>>by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in :>>>drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on :>>>the brakes and could not stop it. :>> :>> :>> Not possible. No stock street vehicle has enough power to overcome it's :>> braking system. Personally I had _ONE_ rear drum brake stick on a '75 :>> maverick and it could barely move. (oddly enough I had the throttle :>> stick one day when starting it up, I just turned it off and freed the :>> linkage, lubed it and went on with my day) In rec.autos.tech there is :>> thread on a vehicle that has a braking problem where the brakes, all :>> four are dragging and his car can't move under it's own power until the :>> brakes release. No, there is no way that you can be on the brakes and :>> the car get away from you if the brakes are in good servicable condition. :>> :>> :>>>The engine would not slow down or go :>>>back to idle. All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things. :>> :>> :>> Never thought of turning the key off? :>> :>> :>>>Well I missed the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the :>>>second home and hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy :>>>and made a 90 degree turn going across the street into a driveway :>>>hitting the garage and finally coming to a stop. :>> :>> :>> Sounding more like a troll. :>> :>> :>>>When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a :>>>dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety. :>> :>> :>> Or you could just turn the key off. (of course maybe just not confuse :>> the pedals in the future) :>> :>> :>>>Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems). :>> :>> :>> Throttle by wire or throttle cable sticking, same difference, turn off :>> the key. :>> :>>

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

I can't buy this either. The brakes should have held the car. Maybe there is a problem there too. Gotta show us the police report on this one. :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

You don't like being called on your ignorance or troll, don't post it. Better yet, learn how to drive. The accelerator is on the right, the brake in the middle, and the clutch on the left. Which is another thing, with a mustang the way it should be you push in the clutch pedal and the engine can't move the car anywhere.

No it's not. It's another driver who doesn't know how to operate a car or a bullshit post.

Maybe you should know which pedal is the brake and which one is the accelerator, moron.

Drive? My car's don't have 'drive'. They have real transmissions.

Neither of my cars can overcome their braking systems.

Reply to
Brent P

Ron,

This was plain and simple, driver error. No modern automobile with functional brakes can continue traveling while fully applying the brakes... Its time for you to surrender your drivers license, you have clearly illustrated here that you are incapable of controlling a motor vehicle. Please do us all a favor and get off the road before you kill someone.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Does the Mustang actually have a DBW system? Nissan had some trouble with these when they first came out, but it was only in the FXs and when the pedal sensor fails, it fails to an idle, not WOT.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Not 100% sure, but google turned up a couple articles indicating that the throttle on 2005 up is by wire. I could probably live with a by-wire throttle, but I need the rest tied mechanically for the feedback. I am horrible in driving video games because they don't have the feedback through the controls. I like being able to feel things through the pedals and the steering wheel.

I could imagine some sort of software bug or brain dead design of the sensor but it wouldn't change what driver should do. In the carburator era, throttles would actually stick, but it never seemed a big deal. Like you said, keep your cool, turn off the key. Pop the hood, fix the problem get on with the day... Of course since that 60 minutes hit piece on audi it hasn't been the same.

Reply to
Brent P

Oh god... stop... please..... it, it hurts.... can't breath....

ROFLMAO!!!

You know, I hear a Vespa can get pretty hairy if you hold the front brake tight and nail it....

Reply to
WindsorFox

Maybe someone will post it on YouTube...

Reply to
WindsorFox

Even the throttle can be weird. My Titan is pretty normal, but there are time that it does things a cable or solid linkage would not do. Usually not giving as much fuel/power as what I am asking for, but then if you try to power brake it the computer apparently knows what you are trying to do and refuses. My Murano on the other hand was just plain weird and very hard to get used to. Possible because it was an older vehicle and one of the first DBW systems and in combination with the CVT it was just a bazaar feeling in any situation other than just pokey point to point commuting. What used to weird out people with the car was to hold steady at 30-35 and bump the shifter between D and 3 and back. The speed never changed and you never felt any difference, the RPMs would just smoothly rise and fall. Comfortable, but odd.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Yes, all of the V8s are drive by wire throttle controlled and, remembering Im mostly trucks and those, mostly diesel, I believe all the V6s and 4 cys have also transitioned to electronic throttle control.

Default position for the ETC is idle and, depending on what any failure might be, throttle may be limited of it may simply remain at idle.There are enough redundancies and fail safes built into the system that unintended acceleration shouldn't be possible - though, in this life *anything* is possible. There are three sensors in the pedal assembly and all three of them have to be in agreement before the PCM will command throttle (two read low volts at idle and the third is inverse reading)... I don't think that there is an idle validation switch in the assembly but the PCM "learns" closed position and checks that against a table to ensure that it is inside the acceptable "window".

Of the few late model Mustangs I've driven, I have to note that the pedals are too close together for my big old clodhoppers and I find it easy to cover both pedals at the same time.

Also, when I was active with the fire department, I attended many accident scenes where panic set in early and some poor slob nailed the throttle instead of the brakes.....

Unintended acceleration possible? Perhaps.... Likely? I don't think so...

As far as trouble free is concerned.... we have seen very few concerns with these systems - most of those on the 3 valve 5.4s and those more in the F150 than the SuperDuty. Most of these have been software issues and reprogramming the PCM has been the cure.

Merry Xmas.

Reply to
Jim Warman

in re: the Audi "unintended acceleration" from = what, 20 years agp? For those who weren't around: a number of reports started turning up of Audi's taking off by themselves.........all kinds of drama for about a year - TV exposes, investigations, etc. and finally it was attributed to nothing more than driver error due to the unusual pedal location. Just about killed Audi in this country.

Fine (except there were a great number of the drivers who swore they didn't have their foot on ANY pedal, and other circumstances that didn't match the official "verdict").

I'd tend to be dubious, except I happen to see one of the damn things take off by itself - with NO ONE behind the wheel: at a convenience store, fellow pulls into a parking space facing the store.....leaves it running while he runs into the store........was inside a couple minutes when that damn thing took off in reverse at full throtle!

Would have killed anyone behind him because = as said - it was wide open. The car flew backwards, over a curb, thru the landscaping and was stopped by metal guardrails along the main road.......but it hit with such force that the entire body was sprung.

Impossible - but I saw it. You could say that the guy hadn't gotton it completely into Park - but what would explain the full throtle?

And anybuddy remember Ford's cruise controls around 66-67, that used a beaded chain connection between the cc diaphram and the throtle linkage

- and the chains would get hung up on the linkage at full throtle!

Yeah, Mustangs have throttle by wire and I'm not thrilled with it. Don't some German makes have brake-by-wire and even electric steering?

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Post the police report. Redacted to your desire, but let's see it.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Don't hold your breath...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

The IAC. Even with my 5 speed Mustang if you release the clutch just fast enough that it doesn't quite kill the engine the IAC will over compensate and the car will lurch then settle to an idle. There should be the same warning label from a turkey fryer carved on the side of a car AND

70% of drivers foreheads: DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED WHILE IN OPERATION! People who get out and leave a car running whilest going into a store should be disciplined by having their head cut off. Arab style enforcement. Especially with a kid in the car. There is absolutely, positively NO excuse for walking away from a running car to go do something else.
Reply to
WindsorFox

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

hey hey... let's leave the automatic bashing out of this...LOL!

Reply to
John S.