bigger fuel injectors for the V-6

What is the stock injector size for the 02 V-6? I would like to get a bit more kick out of the old girl. So should I change the Air Meter as well and what would be a good combination and not crazy big? Thanks

Reply to
Billstein

Others will disagree.... there is no replacement for displacement. If you want more kick, I see a V8 in your future. You can spend a whack of green, folding trying to get more from your six but you are much further ahead to have patience and "go for the gusto" later.

I was young once and regret a lot of money p*ssed up against a wall.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not to mention that bigger injectors won't do anything for a stock vehicle. A lot of the ricers around here are running bigger injectors, and all it does is cause the car to run rich and leave a big black stain on the back end of the car by the exhaust pipe. Gotta wonder how they pass these things on the emissions test.

The car is set up for a relatively optimum tune in its stock setup. Sure, you can suck out a little more with a MAF sensor, maybe... and maybe an exhaust system... but until your car needs more fuel, adding more won't help it run any better. You need a better flowing intake tract first... and a big enough exhaust to let it all go. Heads are a big part of that whole intake/exhaust idea.

Until you increase airflow, adding more fuel is just going to lighten your wallet in both parts and gas prices. Now, if you get heads or a blower, then we can talk fuel.

JS

Reply to
JS

He's right. replacing the stock injectors won't give you any more power. All it will do is make it run rich at idle and part throttle cruise.

If you want more power - enough to feel - you really have two choices. Trade up to a V8, or add a blower. Calm down, don't get excited. A blower really isn't that big of a deal. It's a relativly simple bolt on affair, with a pre-programmed computer, and can be done in an afternoon. Yes, it's kind of expensive. It's certainly cheaper than trading it in for a V8. And consider all the other mods you might make: intake, heads, MAF, computer, pulleys, etc, etc, etc. Add that all up and see how much you'll spend, and how much extra power you'll make. Price ends up being the same, but it's a lot less work, and a lot less time. Plus, there's the "wow facter" to consider. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Reply to
boB

Billstein opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Think about this... the injectors are controlled by the ECM, from info from the EGO sensors.

WTH makes you thnk the injectors dont have reserve capacity? If they didnt, the slightest fouling would make the engine run like shit!

This isnt like rejetting a carb, which usually doesnt work to increase power, either

Search on blower or blown vg mustang on google, i hear there are quite a few

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks All great and appreciated responses I do want to get the v-8 holding off for the 2005,I know they'll be out soon but I don't want to make the same mistake I made with the 2002 I'll buy a trade in. Ok here's a question .I do a lot of freeway driving, at least 102 miles a day, Do you think the blower would be better then the turbo? And if I did the turbo would it cost more in the long run.

02 V-6 MAC dual exhaust
Reply to
Billstein

Bigger injectors won't improve performance of a stock engine (one without major modifications) one iota. The BEST you can hope for is to equal the performance you already have. That's IF you get the proper matching MAF and IF you only go up to the next size injector so the EEC has a chance to compensate. There's a good chance you'll end up with worse performance or worse driveability, or both.

If you haven't already done so, pop in a set of 3.73 gears in the differential. Thats the best bang for the buck you can get. That will really wake her up.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Generally speaking, the turbo is better for a road car. It makes boost when you need it, not all the time. The belt driven blower makes X amount of boost for Y rpm's. Period. However, new technology is softening that dividing line a bit. I'm a big fan of turbo's, but the lower cost and simplicity of the belt driven blower is very attractive.

Reply to
boB

On a v6 mustang I hear you can save money with them by not ever having to change the oil,air filter or sparkplugs!

Reply to
winze

Reply to
Billstein