Blowing oil into the exhaust

Ok....so i was driving last nite, and all of a sudden the car started smoking from under the hood and out of my exhaust. My b/f looked at it and said its POSSIBLY the catilac converter getting oil in it or the rings are bad......but we dont know, could this be it, or is there possibly ANOTHER reason for it doing that....i have a 95 mustang gt 5.

-- kae_lynn

View this thread:

Send from

kae_lynn

from under the hood and out of my exhaust. My b/f looked at it and said its POSSIBLY the catilac converter getting oil in it or the rings are bad......but we dont know, could this be it, or is there possibly ANOTHER reason for it doing that....i have a 95 mustang gt 5.0

There's a few places for excess oil to get through. Start by doing a compression and leak down test. If the rings are bad, these tests will show it. Also, check the PCV system. Unlikely, but possible. If they are fine, then it's probably an intake manifold gasket.

Reply to
.boB

Well unless you have some major exhaust leaks, oil burning in the engine or in the exhaust system would not smoke under the hood. My suggestion is, you have some sort of a fluid leak, either transmission fluid or engine oil that is leaking onto your hot exhaust system and smoking up through your engine compartment, as well as out from under your car.

You really need to look around under the hood and the car to see if this smoke is coming out of your exhaust system or off of the outside of it...

I've seen before where a transmission seal was leaking fluid onto the exhaust system and the owner thought they had a blown head gasket...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I can only suggest telling your boyfriend to back away from the hood release.... If you want to save money and your relationship, there is no other choice...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ditto below....Bet the bottom of the car is ALL OILY.

And your trans or some other fluid is gett> Well unless you have some major exhaust leaks, oil burning in the

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

C'mon, I know a lot of people that have problems with those Cadillac converters....

Reply to
WindsorFox