Blown Cobra blows engine racing Z06

First off, this clip has some crude language, so WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS at home or work. Don't know how long ago this happened, but this young owner learned the hard way......Ready??? Set??? Action..........

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

My thought is....

If you're gonna throw 600 supercharged HP through a pre-03 Cobra engine, you're just asking for trouble. The stock cast bottom end of these cars isn't really made for this kind of pressure, not to mention the high compression that doesn't lend well to boosting. Put that amount of power through an '03 all day long, but not a pre-'03.

JS

Reply to
JS

Ugh, that sucks! But, he should have known better puttin that much HP through a pre - '03 Cobra block. Sheesh!

Reply to
Iggy

Regarding compression and boost; A word to the wise for Mach-1 owners...

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

I'd think twice before adding a supercharger to a pre-03 cobra or mach-1 or GT for that matter.

Rein

Regarding the stock GT, what if you go with a mild blower (6-8psi)?

Reply to
Alan Wedin

SURROUNDINGS

I would think that a stock GT with a 6-8psi blower would do fine. The compression on these engines is less than the N/A DOHC engines, and they deal with some positive pressure pretty well. Plenty of people have strapped a mild blower on their cars with no real problems. It's all in the tuning. An aftercooler (commonly referred to as an intercooler) will help decrease inlet air temperatures and reduce the possibility of detonation.

What are you trying to do with the car?

JS

Reply to
JS

You need to be damn sure you have the Air/fuel ratios correct. A chip and dyno time is required ! Why do you think Ford went all the way they went with the 03 cobra motor (block, pistons, rods, etc....) ??? Because they could not keep the regular cobra engine alive with 8 psi. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

The GT's seem to handle blowers much better than the Cobras (pre '03). Thats not the first Cobra ive seen pop. Someone told me it something about the intake design also plays a part in it?

-Franklin '96 Cobra

Reply to
WhyteStang

i read somewhere that svt went through 8 engines for the 03 before the final (cast iron block) design

SURROUNDINGS

Reply to
Christopher Shea

I want a nice daily driver that I can occasionally have fun with at the track. In about 2 - 3 weeks, I will be receiving my first upgrades which include long tube headers through cat back system, Accufab throttle body and matching plenum. For round two, I want to add full length subs, Steeda shifter, and (possibly) rear end gears. Once I get all the engine tuned and running it's best in NA form, I was hoping to save for a small supercharger. I want the supercharger as much for it's sound as the extra HP.

Reply to
Alan Wedin

No, Alan. Think stealth. Nothing beats the look of disbelief on the unsuspecting.

You want a supercharger for its sound as much as for the extra HP?? You're kidding? Shoot, then save the $2.5-$3Gs a puffer will cost and put on a flex fan instead. Or drain the power steering pump. Both will give you a whine.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

LOL. Thanks.