Blown Head Gasket??

Help!

I have '00 GT 2V. The car is in great shape and has not been abused. Last week, I noticed a small spot of coolant on the garage floor. This has happened everyday that that car has been run. It leaks perhaps 2-3 TBS per night. The coolant level is not noticable down, but it is a very small leak. Upon closer look, it appears to be coming from the back of the block, on the drivers side. Very hard to see the exact source of the leak, but the coolant is dripping from the lowest spot where the head and block meet. I can't actually see where one of the heater hoses attaches to the water line to the water pump, so I haven't ruled that out. But it really looks like it is coming out of the head right at the head gasket and dripping straight down to the ground. Compression test is fine and the suspect cylinder plug shows no sign of coolant. (no green or brown coating)

I cleaned and flushed the coolant today and put in one tube of Bar's Stop Leak.

I can pull the head and replace the gasket, but man, that will really be a job.

What are the expert suggestions at this point?

Reply to
Gene S. Snider

The stop leak was a really bad Idea as it can actually clog you radiator. Do you notice anything different in your oil? It is probably something simple like a heater hose. Although they aren't exactly easy to change on a late model pony. You really should do a flush. That "bars" can really make you have a bad day in the future.

Reply to
KellyJ
** I cleaned and flushed the coolant today and put in one tube of Bar's ** Stop Leak.

Barr's Stop Leak??? People actually still use that crap??? Very bad idea. Now you have a coolant leak AND a clogged radiator & heater core. I thought people these days had finally gotten past that 'Miracle in a Bottle' mentality.

If you're unsure about the exact nature of the leak and/or the proper remedy, seek out the help of a professional mechanic. It sounds to me like you're making a bad situation even worse.

Warmest regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------- Please note: I use a 'white list' to screen incoming mail. Unless you are on this list, your reply will never reach me. Are you on my white list? If unsure, use 'important-mail' in the subject line.

Reply to
JD Adams

Since you already tried using a stop gap as a repair solution I would flush the cooling system to get that stuff out. These kinds of things aren't really a permanent repair and (if they do indeed work) are meant to get you home so that you can have a proper repair performed.....

I would suggest pressure testing the cooling system when the motor is cold... I mean stone, left overnight cold.... if it is indeed the head gasket, I suggest you read up on the procedure in the shop manual before tackling it. There is a trick for the timing chains so that you don't need the factory cam positioning tools but it is IMPORTANT to know what you're doing to avoid piston/valve contact. Don't even think about re-using the head bolts and do realize that these puppies are lloonngg and can be affected by accessories a long way from the head. Ford flatly states that the head cannot be resurfaced... some may challenge that statement - I'm not about to stake my reputation on some misbegotten attempt to save someone a few bucks.

Lastly, if the car is equipped with a block heater, the block heater is located at the left rear of the motor....

HTH

Jim Warman