Body work

::delurks::

hi people,

I have a slight problem. I wound up in a fender bender a few days ago, I'm quite fine, but my car is somewhat unhappy about the whole experience. the right side of the front bumper has a wound in it, quite scratched up, and is slightly away from the headlight (to which the cover is scratched up now) on that side. ::sigh:: anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the bumper myself, assuming I can find another front bumper for a red focus. however, I have a feeling that is beyond my capabilities... so, anyone know of a good body shop in the dade/broward area? and, would be to my advantage to procure my own bumper then find someone to put it on, because I have a feeling I can get the parts off a junked focus from one of the many salvage yards around here for much cheaper than a body shop would charge me. I've also given thought to going with a tasteful body kit for it, nothing too outrageous (i.e. I have no intentions of being called a ricer... ::shudder::)

that's my car's life at the moment....

thanks in advance....

patricia

00 Red Focus

btw: quick poll: if you were in a car club, where would you put the stickerage? big and bold across the windshield or smaller on both of the back doors' windows. I'd go for the two windows. this is bit of an argument between myself and a friend who wants me to join his car club.

Reply to
Snowy Rose

Around 7/27/2003 1:28 PM, Snowy Rose spake thusly:

I would take it in to a body shop if only to get an estimate. They should be able to tell you if the damage is purely cosmetic, or if there is any structural damage that needs to be fixed as well.

If it is purely cosmetic damage and you can find a new bumper cover in good shape at a junkyard, it'd definitely be much easier (and cheaper) to replace it yourself. Bonus if it's the same color and doesn't need repainting.

Looks like Chiltons just came out with a shop manual for the Focus (ISBN: 156392482X, $17 on Amazon). That should give you a pretty good idea of how to remove the bumper cover.

I agree with you, and think that subtle is WAY better than flashy: ;)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hi Patricia, Sorry to hear you got the bumps and bruises. Garth is right, you can pick up a book (even PepBoya and Auto Zone carry them for around &15) that will tell you what to do. Do take it to a shop and get an estimate to tell you what will be needed.

Then call some wrecking yards, you may just get lucky enough to find parts that are the right color. Bumper covers are not that hard to put on, and if you're somewhat familiar with a wrench, you should have no trouble.

If you DO end up doing it yourself, let us know how it goes.

As for the poll.. I don't do stickers.. of any kind. Club or no.. just no stickers. It's your car, if you want to put stickers on it, put them where you please, not where someone else wants them. My personal choice (if I were to put any on) would be the back windows on either side like Garth has them..

Good luck to you girl!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate, Garth, much thanks ^_^

I think a trip to the bookstore is in order, then start bumming around Hialeah for the junk yards.

I'll tell when I get it done

patricia

this is why I love this group... people here are great ^_^

Reply to
Snowy Rose

Did you have those custom made or is someone out there actually making RAMFM stickers? That's a pretty tasteful sticker, I wouldn't mind putting a set on my quarter windows myself.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Some tools you'll most likely need are a set of wrenches, rivet gun & rivets and a drill. I not sure how your cars bumper covers goes on but I know mustangs (1988) have rivets you need to drill out and a bolt or

2 to undo. (You'll have to take off the head lights as well, I would bet)

Ps put the sicker in the front window bottom corner if u have to put one on; I would keep it in my wallet

Reply to
Sonicmonkey