Brake Pad Recommendation

All -

I am preparing to replace my worn stock brake pads on my 2001 GT. Any recommendations? (I am keeping my stock rotors).

thanks! Brian

Reply to
Brian Ober

All I can tell you is don't be shocked at the price. The OEM pads for my Cobra were about $250, plus turning the rotors and installation... damn!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

my my, you need to take it easy on them there brakes lady... heck brakes should last 100,000 miles .

Merry Christmas and may you stocking be filled with all kinds of Mustang goodies.

Gerry

Ft Collins, Co.

Reply to
Gerry

They will last a lot longer now that they aren't in California stop and go traffic. I think 66k is pretty good mileage on a set of pads though :)

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Hi, Kate... hope it's been a merry and happy one...

There are so many things that can affect the life of brakes ..... Up here, winter 'pavement' sets in about November.... rare for me to do brake jobs from here until April or June. Brake lining materials, swept surface condition/preparation play a big role. Certainly driving styles are a big consideration...

66,000 miles would be very good in our area.... some guys only get 20,000km (yep, that's kilometers) out of the brakes on their work trucks. Even then, 60,000 km (again, not miles) is decent for street driven though we do see higher (that usage thing again).

All I can urge is that the original poster resist the urge for either "trick 'o' the week" or bargain pads. Special materials usually require (or deserve) special preparation and cheap.... well they're just cheap and I have to say that my family deserves better than cheap brakes.

Jim Warman

Dajum, 93K on my original pads here... And it looks like they're good to go for a while too. Must be all that freeway driving I do..... It still brakes pretty good too.

95GT

Rein

Do keep in mind, I am the sort of person that replaces things when they BEGIN to look as if they are wearing out, not when they are actually broken. If I can that is. I'm sure there was still some life on the pads, and had I chosen to wait till they began to squeal and gore the rotors I could have waited quite a while. I'm just not that kind of girl, if you get my meaning.

:-)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

I usually do that too, but last time I checked they weren't even close to being worn out.... ahwell. been dying to try out new pads but.. if they're not even close to being worn I can't justify it. Perhaps steel braided lines ????

Rein