Brake upgrade recommendations

My front rotors have been turned for the last time and I'm thinking of upgrading to larger rotors so I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Some background info to keep in mind: '95 3.8L convertible, auto transmission, 118K miles, 17" American Eagle wheels. Except for the wheels, the car is bone stock and basically just a commuter. With as much driving as I do now that I'm 70 miles away from work, I don't have time or money to put into having the sports car I'd like to have but I wouldn't mind better braking for when I have to bust a move on busy So. Cal. highways. Another thing to keep in mind is budget: I've started looking and see things like Brembo kits for $1300 and up, e.g. Ouch! Can't I do this for less than $500 or am I just out of touch with reality? I appreciate your ideas.

Reply to
jcavalca

This is easy. Go down to the local Autozone (or whatever) and get a set of stock replacement rotors, bearings, and pads. Probably total right around $100. Easy to install. This will work very well for a V6 commuter. If you want to spend money on upgrades, you certainly can. I would start simply by moving up to Performance Friction carbon-metallic pads. DO NOT waste money on slotted or (shudder) drilled rotors.

Reply to
.boB

I quit wasting money on turning rotors YEARS ago!

If the rotors are bad enough to require turning, they are bad enough to buy new!

- Now I do a lot of freeway driving and my USUAL FIRST pad replacement is at about 90,000.

The key is to replace pads long before the rotors get scarred. I USED to use a Right-angle sanding disk to swirl the finish but tried just 'breaking in pads' once and saw no difference.. My brakes ALWAYS work GREAT, btw, and I exercise them frequently with a hard stop, just for drill ...usually at the stop sign at end of an exit.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And DO NOT buy the cheapest of ANYTHING when it comes to brakes! I usually deal with NAPA on such...and decide based on warranty-length.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The other guys already posted the proper fix actions, if you are on a budget just replace the worn parts, if you want to upgrade for performance reasons go to the SSBC website. I installed their rear disk upgrade along with larger front calipers from a Lincoln LSC and it was like driving a whole new car. We're talking BMW touring coupe like stopping power on a budget.

Reply to
Ironrod

I have BAER 13"x1.10 front brake kit w/ M/C & flex hoses in my modified '94 5.0 (used for commuting).

A commuter car needs good brakes. The BAER brakes seem to stop the car smoother, faster and the pedal feels more definite under my foot.

A few weeks after installing the brake upgrade, I had to do an emergency stop while driving to work. (slow moving car changed lanes without looking to avoid hitting an even slower moving car) I don't know for sure, but I feel the upgraded brakes saved me from a collision.

bml