Brighter Bulbs < Need Recommendations

Holy crap is it ever dark out on some of these back roads in Florida! And to make it worse, there are tons of deer hanging around the highways at night. I had a deer recently dart out of me and if I wouldn't have been so quick to react I would have clipped him. My headlight lens are still in awesome shape--they're not yellowed--so I was wondering about getting a bulb that throws a little more light out there. Anyone have any recommendations for my Cobra _and_ LTD?

Thanks in adavance,

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

<memset

Stupid OE sometimes.. it sent the earlier message before I wanted it to.. sorry. Anyway.. those are what I use. They are not as bright as the description makes them out to be, but they are a VERY nice improvement while NOT blinding other drivers. They have a very very slight blue tint and look very white. I love 'em. I paid about $12 w/ shipping for mine.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I bought the new lamp containers that have the faceted mirror and clear lens. You will be amazed at the difference it makes in light and being able to see. I had the high wattage bulbs for a while and they MELTED my damn plugs!! I had to replace the plugs, therefore I would recomend a set of EBA (extremely bright ass) driving lights. Use the output from the stock fog light switch to trigger a relay and power them straight from the battery.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Don't buy those. They don't even say what the wattage is, for you can tell they are blue coated, normal wattage bulbs.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

<memset

SYLVANIA SLIVER STAR. They produce significanly more light and only require a couple more watts. I.E. they will not MELT your headlights or connectors. All the other high output bulbs I have seen require SIGNIFICANTLY more wattage (HEAT).

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

For the Cobra, go with Sylvania XtraVision (in the pink and black package). That's the best bulb Sylvania makes, without all that glare-generating blue coating and without the premium price. See

If you can afford it, the best lamps for the LTD are E-code halogen sealed beams. Like these: . If you don't feel like spending $56 x 4, XtraVisions would be the best alternative here as well.

Another thing to try would be to rewire your lighting systems using good relays. The stock wiring on most vehicles just plain sucks. for more info on that.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

they call it "fat finger syndrome" LOL

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

ASSWIPE! LOL!!

<memset

See the recent posts in rec.autos.driving and rec.autos.tech by daniel stern. Full of good info.

Reply to
Brent P

Total junk. They are nothing more than blue coated light bulbs

Reply to
Brent P

I junked the plastic housings and factory wiring for my lights on my '96 S10. I replaced them with the Stanley E code lights and the headlamp relay kit from Mr. Stern, BEST money spent! I supplied the wiring, just bought the relays & sockets from him, followed the aiming instructions religiously and have MUCH better lighting without that gay blue, blinding light bothering other drivers.

Intend to do the Mustang someday, don't drive her much at night, but when I do it's down right scary.

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's 66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

Thank you, Larry.

Today I went looking around the auto parts and I found a set of the Sylvania Silver Stars for the LTD. They were buy one get a second one at half-price, PLUS a 6-dollar mail-in rebate. Can't beat that! I'll plug them in tomorrow and give the NG my impressions. If they impress me, I'll pick up a set for the Cobra.

Thanks again!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Brent,

VERY VERY VERY insightful!! Thank you for the info! For the rest of you, here are the links:

Going back to the store to get some Sylvanias in the black and pink box...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

they may not look yellow to you yet but they are on there way.. when i polished out the lenses on my 96 contour i used the cheap magnifiers that you put on your head like a jewelers uses and you would be suprised at the tarnish you can see on the lenses... they looked good after about

5 minutes of polishing with some Turtle Wax Polishing compound about $1.79 for a can of it,, a wet face cloth and some duct tape to protect the bottom and side of the pained area around the lenses with the hood open and finished off with the electric drill with a polishing bonnet on the end of it.....
Reply to
jim

Patrick,

Yes I have read 'em, but I stick my own lightbulbs. I don't use those exactly, but they're very similar. They work extremely well for me. They ARE brighter and DON'T blind other drivers (I've driven another car while my car was being driven towards me.. I am anal about blinding other drivers). It's not very "blue" at all... it's extremely white, but with a very very slight tint of blue. You can barely see the blue. Anyway... glad you found some lightbulbs.. I'll stick w/ mine. Let us all know how you like yours.. I'm sure they're great.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

NO, what I am saying is that I am not in the mood to engage in arguement with yet another person who thinks he knows headlamps because he slaped in some blue-bulb overwattage junk or the latest APC riceboy crap and now he can see "better".

That's not how automotive lighting works.It's much more complicated than mere perceptions of one individual. If that gets your panties in a bunch too bad.

I refered you to good information by an automotive lighting engineer, someone who does this stuff for a living. If you don't want to read and believe it, it's your loss. And the loss of anyone that encounters you on the road. (not to mention the loss of good product on the market because someone is buying the marketing hype instead of good lighting)

Oh, and BTW, dollars to doughnuts your marketing hyped blue bulbs are glaring to me, that's my perception.

Reply to
Brent P

So don't reply

Sexist remarks?

I did read it & I liked it as well, but that doesn't mean I am going to rip out my light bulbs & buy what everybody else is buying simply because you say so. I'm not gonna automatically do what you recommend or imply. I ain't yer bitch.. get that outta yer head. I do not care if you do know more/less about automotive lighting than me.. I simply posted to this thread because I have had good experiences w/ these kinds of light bulbs. They work well. Don't like it? Too F*ing Bad!

Sucks for you.

Reply to
<memset

Memset, you sound like a whiny 12 year old. Actually most of your posts sound that way now that I think about it. Grow up dude. I think a lighting engineer would know more than you would about his own specialty. Whether you want to believe it or not, he's right, as opposed to your uneducated opinion. You don't want to believe that you're wrong cause you dumped money into those lights, fine, but don't try to convince those who already know your wrong and really don't give a shit what lights you use. Sounds more like your trying to convince yourself than any of us. Buyers remorse maybe?

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams