Buick Returns To RWD!! Now What About Ford?

Can you believe it? It'll be the first rear-wheel drive Buick since their 80's hotrods the Grand National and GNX. Could a new Buick GN or GS be far behind?

So what's Ford doing in response? They're planning on moving the Lincoln LS and Town Car to front-wheel drive platforms. But this isn't as bad as it sounds, as all-wheel-drive versions will be available for both.

The top-of-the-line, AWD, Lincoln LS will be powered by a

311-horsepower, 4.4 liter Yamaha V8.

The Town Car name will likely be ditched in favor of the Continental nameplate. But whatever it's called, it's to get a 3-valve 4.6, maybe stretched to 5-liters. If it gets 5-liters, I'd guess horsepower would be in the 340-360 range.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yes it may be as bad as it sounds. FWD biased AWD is not as good for performance and everything else that a properly set up RWD biased AWD. Sounds like ford is moving them to volvo platforms or at least going with the volvo concepts. If the engine is mounted transversely, it's nothing to even waste time on. Now if they have a set up similar to audi where the engine is mounted longituditally(sp?) and just happens to drive the front wheels then I'll take it back.

Meanwhile, ford continues to sell proper cars down under:

Brent P

nothing

Brent, you nailed it all... you are correct on all your assertions. Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Same one Volvo is using in their SUV? I thought they did this because they couldn't develop a V8 fast enough? What's Ford's excuse?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA