Bye-bye '96...maybe

Friday night I was driving out of town on a single lane road, a ricer apparently didn't like that he couldn't pass me before his lane ended (was moving into my lane, too, without signaling...he must have been intoxicated), tailgated me for about a quarter mile, before launching into a turning lane where an innocent bystander in their car was waiting to merge into the flow of traffic, and forcing my car violently into a curb and embankment.

I say I was forced only because if I hadn't locked up my brakes (now I see the importance of ABS), he would have hit the rear end of the merging car at...well, if I was going about 60, he must have been going over 65. I looked out the corner of my eye in my rear view mirror and saw his headlights move to the left of my car, and immediately I knew what would happen. If I'd sped up to block him off, I, too, may have been part of the collision... We were SO close to that merging car, there was no room for error!! I've never been so scared. I seriously thought I was going to die. And to top it off, the road was very slightly damp due to the cold, humid air. I guess that's why my car skidded so far. The driver of the Honda Accord did not stop (not surprising), although he must have seen what happened...even in the dark.

I've been told by the folks at Les Schwab (closest and only place I felt comfy driving my car to after the accident) that the front end is bent, whatever that means? My husband took the car in and that is what he told me. I guess they meant the suspension or maybe wheel hub? The rim needs replacing and is bent! Tire is thrashed and has a flat spot. Tech guys said it was amazing the impact didn't break the wheel. Guess I sort of screwed myself by buying such strong, expensive rims. LOL! There are a couple scratches on passenger side fender and bumper from hitting the shrubs, too.

Insurance is sending somebody to look at my car in a week or so. The insurance company told me they weren't sure if my deductible would apply yet. What the hell does that mean? It sure applied when our Honda was totalled while sitting outside our house! I was actually driving my Mustang. I would be grateful if the $1000 deductible didn't apply! I just don't know how this will turn out. In accidents with a non-contact vehicle, how do insurance co's handle it? Anybody have experience with this?

Once the car is fixed, I'm going to trade it in or sell it. I've been seriously considering this for a long time, I think now would be as good a time as any. It'll probably never drive the same...and I know it sounds silly, but the car is tainted now. I loved the car and it has served me well, but I've been wanting a Cobra for a couple of years. I'm stuck with it for at least another month, though.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

I hope to God your husband runs into this ricer guy.

Needent bother yourself with the mindset of reciprocation, let your husband handle business when he rus into this guy if he does.

If someone did that to my wife, game over. And I do mean, game over.

-- Admin

a Free State Of The Art Ford Mustang Member Page!Admin's Profile:
this thread:

Admin

Just be like me, if there is a ricer behind you, tailgating you..drive slower and just let him pass. If you come up to a red light and there's a ricer sitting there, just stop at around his quarterpanel. When the light turns green, take off slowly to avoid driving side by side or else a cop is going to be suspicious about it. These are just some of the things to avoid any accidents from careless drivers.

I had somebody look at my 95 GT today and is interested in buying it. So maybe by Tues or Wed I won't have a stang anymore =( But unlike you, I won't be getting into a Cobra for a while, maybe a year or so down the road or until I can afford an '03 (insurance wise). Still have one more year for that magic 25.

Jason

Reply to
RioRedGT

damn that sucks. I know what happens, seen it happen on a mustang. The same thing happened, the rim was bent and the tire messed up. fortunately (and surprisingly) nothing else was damaged to the car mustang. I would be really careful to even use the insurance for this. Your rates might go up after this. The rate increase plus the (maybe) 1000 deductible might make it worth to consider just fixing it up and paying it yourself. What exactly is 'bent' ? These cars are pretty strong and can handle quite a bit of abuse to the suspension.

Rein

I too have a 95GT, what are they offering/are you asking for it ? I know I won't get much as a trade-in, already experienced that.

Rein

Reply to
Erik D.

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:jp9pb.121832$La.65171@fed1read02:

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, but at least you (or anyone else) didn't get hurt. Cars can be fixed easier than people, eh?

As for the car, get a couple estimates and check your insurance policy for coverage and deductible. It sounds like a standard claim, so there shouldn't be too much trouble if the insurance company is above board. As for the car being "tainted", that may be more of a mental thing than a real thing. The entire front end on my LX was twisted during an accident several years ago; they ended up welding on an whole new front end from another car right behind the front suspension. They did an excellent job on the weld, and the car tracks perfectly. The point is that you have every right to have the car repaired properly under the claim.

If you do decide to get the car fixed, by all means try to have it repaired at a shop that works with the insurance company - that'll minimize the finger-pointing if there's a problem with the repair. Also, get the insurance company to tell you what will happen to your rates/record if you put the claim in. If your rates will go up as a result, you may want to weigh the increase against the loss you'll take selling the wreck as is without putting the claim in. HTH - good luck.

Joe

Joe wrote in news:bo3f6n$173lio$1@ID-

49604.news.uni-berlin.de:

forcing

accidents

P.S. - don't forget to let your insurance company know about all the extras you've got (show them the receipts). That will certainly increase the value of the car, which is a good thing.

Joe

If the only description they gave you is "bent" I would question their judgement. Body shops usually don't charge for an estimate, and they can put it up on a rack and have a good look at it. "Bent" doesn't specify WHAT they found wrong with it, just that they are looking at the $$$ that you will pay to have it fixed. I would agree with Erik. Before you file a claim, keep in mind that you were in a single car collision and that you hit a stationary object. The scratches may buff out, and since you just got your wheels and tires, you may be able to just replace the damaged one and all will be ok.

Dang Cindy, you have the worst luck sometimes!

Kate

| > I say I was forced only because if I hadn't locked up my brakes (now I see | > the importance of ABS), he would have hit the rear end of the merging car | > at...well, if I was going about 60, he must have been going over 65. I | > looked out the corner of my eye in my rear view mirror and saw his | > headlights move to the left of my car, and immediately I knew what would | > happen. If I'd sped up to block him off, I, too, may have been part of the | > collision... We were SO close to that merging car, there was no room for | > error!! I've never been so scared. I seriously thought I was going to die. | > And to top it off, the road was very slightly damp due to the cold, humid | > air. I guess that's why my car skidded so far. The driver of the Honda | > Accord did not stop (not surprising), although he must have seen what | > happened...even in the dark. | >

| > I've been told by the folks at Les Schwab (closest and only place I felt | > comfy driving my car to after the accident) that the front end is bent, | > whatever that means? My husband took the car in and that is what he told me. | > I guess they meant the suspension or maybe wheel hub? The rim needs | > replacing and is bent! Tire is thrashed and has a flat spot. Tech guys said | > it was amazing the impact didn't break the wheel. Guess I sort of screwed | > myself by buying such strong, expensive rims. LOL! There are a couple | > scratches on passenger side fender and bumper from hitting the shrubs, too. | >

| > Insurance is sending somebody to look at my car in a week or so. The | > insurance company told me they weren't sure if my deductible would apply | > yet. What the hell does that mean? It sure applied when our Honda was | > totalled while sitting outside our house! I was actually driving my Mustang. | > I would be grateful if the $1000 deductible didn't apply! I just don't know | > how this will turn out. In accidents with a non-contact vehicle, how do | > insurance co's handle it? | > Anybody have experience with this? | >

| > Once the car is fixed, I'm going to trade it in or sell it. I've been | > seriously considering this for a long time, I think now would be as good a | > time as any. It'll probably never drive the same...and I know it sounds | > silly, but the car is tainted now. I loved the car and it has served me | > well, but I've been wanting a Cobra for a couple of years. I'm stuck with it | > for at least another month, though. | >

| > Cindy | > '96 laser red auto GTS | >

SVTKate

Well I was selling it at $5200, it needs some stuff done to it too,

That's a page I setup to sell the car, I even put it on autotrader.com

Reply to
RioRedGT

Was the honda accord driver the ricer or the merger? Who collided?

Reply to
Brent P

Cindy, If I can be of help in any way please let me know.

BTW: Have you heard from Subic lately ?

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Sorry I should have been clearer. The Honda was the ricer. Nobody collided, 'cause I locked my brakes up and skidded into the curb to keep the Honda from slamming into me and the merging car.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson