C4 trans problems

HI all, Hoping I can get a little help here. I have a 73 Bronco rebuilt 302 and C4 with about 2000 miles on both. Got in it yesterday and noticed my kid probably had moved the transfer case shifter. I moved it back to 2wd backed out of the garage. When I put trans into park there was slight grinding noise (veh was stopped). With transmission is park position, it coasted down the driveway as if it were in neutral. The linkage looks good, the gear (oem column) selector moves freely. I checked the bottom of the linkage where it connects to the transmission, looks good hasn't slipped. I also put the transfer case into 4wd with the hubs locked, drove it around forward and backward, still no change. Trans seems to work and shift normally when I drove it around, although I didn't drive it far. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably head over to the transmission shop that built it (I'm out of warranty now because of time) after the weekend.

Thanks in advance, Ron Nothern CA

Reply to
ron

A similar thing happened to me in '86. I had just finished restoring a '73 Ranchero, went to my GF's house and forgot something. Went back out to the Ranchero and it was GONE! After pacing in disbelief, I saw that it had rolled backwards out of the driveway, down a hill, and was gently stopped by a bush in someone's front yard. If it wasn't for that bush, it would have been in their kitchen. Anyway, check your linkage to the tranny, that's what was wrong with mine. I adjusted it and never had it slip out again (however, ever since to this day I set the emergency brake when I park on a hill, even in my new Tundra). I'm dropping a 351C and FMX in a '72 mach1 next Saturday and I guarantee I'll be triple checking the linkage before the wheels touch the ground!!! Dave

Reply to
nospam

The more that I think about it, the more I'm certain that it's your linkage. If your kid was in there playing "driver", chances are he might have been jerking the shift lever back and forth. If the linkage nut at the trans was loose even a little bit, it probably moved a little.

Let us know what you find. Dave

Reply to
nospam