C4 transmission newbie question

Hi all, I'm new to this group and to my recently acquired 65 fastback. I've only had the car a couple of days and it is a real beuty, original, unrestored and I'm as happy as a pig in shit with it. I have one question which some of you gurus out there may be able to help with. I felt the car was a bit sluggish so when checking for full throttle I noticed something. The throttle linkage has a kink in it half way along which seems to strike a lever which in turn activates a linkage which appears to go to the trans. This lever seems stuck and that explains why the thriottle was only opening about 2 thirds. Question is then.... What would be the likely cause of this lever sticking or rather the linkage to the trans sticking because the lever works fine without the linkage attached? Cheers, Rod Down Under

Reply to
Rod

That sounds like the kick down linkage for the C4. It doesn't have as much movement as the throttle itself does so it should be set up so that full opening of the throttle matches the point where the kick down lever is pushed as far as it will move. As a start I would disconnect the kick down stuff from the throttle stuff and get the throttle link working properly and verify that you can push the pedal to the floor and get full throttle opening at the carb. Then take a look at the kick down linkage. The kick down linkage will probably only have about an inch to 1.5 inches or so of movement compared to about 4 inches of movement for the throttle linkage. So if the kick down linkages seems to be able to move back and forth that amount it may be ok and your only problem might have been that someone had it all messed up. I just went thru this on my 64 T-bird. When you connect the kick down linkage back up to the throttle linkage it needs to be done so that full kick down happens at the same time full throttle happens.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I would also like to suggest to you that you obtain a good repair manual. Nothing wrong with asking questions. That's what this group is for. However, it is a good idea to learn, and you learn best by doing. A good repair manual will help you become familiar with the various subsystems that make your car go.

Reply to
Spike

Thanks for your input guys. I dont seem to have any movement at all in the kickdown linkage so I guess it is something in the trans itself. Will see about getting a manual.

Reply to
Rod

It's always a good idea to have one (I have several including Chiltons and Haynes because each can be a bit better in some areas than the other). You might ask the group for inputs on repair manual suggestions.

Reply to
Spike

Chilton's was good years ago, then Haynes seemed to take the lead. I bought both for a late-model vehicle recently, only to discover they are exactly the same inside the covers! Chilton's has bought the Hayne's name and publishes the same, really crappy, manual under both names.

Arlie

Reply to
Blue Gator

Bummer. Seems like everyone is buying up everyone and it's not to the consumer's advantage. Same applies to banks, oil companies, etc.

There are a number of books listsed in various vendor magazines, including reprints of original shop manuals which are good. And I got a super small block manual direct from the author on line which a local shop had put me on to.

Reply to
Spike